Let’s go get some bacon

Juniors Cameron Radney and Griffin Johnson wear their custom made aprons for spirit week.

Photo by Holland Rainwater

Photo by Holland Rainwater

Story by Addison Cross, staff writer

Students fill the halls wearing black, red, and orange get-ups with the most intimidating phrases they can think of. Most of them homemade, the ensembles worn by the students took time, effort and plenty of Tiger spirit.

The annual Apron Day was on Wednesday Sept. 6 as Texas High students wore the aprons they decorated in preparation for the Texas vs Arkansas game Friday.

“Apron day is a big deal because we’re playing the hogs Friday,” freshman Lily Kate Sewell said. “It’s a really good way to get us in the mood for the game and express our creativity.”

Many students see Apron Day as a way to show off their artistic talents, no matter how long it takes.

“I made mine last night at 10 p.m.,” senior Olivia Parks said. “It took me like an hour and a half, maybe two hours.”

For some, Apron Day also provides a social element that other spirit days don’t.

“Decorating your apron with friends is really fun,” sophomore MacKenzie Stevens said. “You get to come to school and take pictures and it’s a good way to come together for the spirit day.”

Many students associate Apron Day with another Hell Week tradition, Bacon Fry.

“It’s a good tradition and it reminds everyone of Bacon Fry,” sophomore Emma Lindsey said. “Let’s go beat the hogs, and get some bacon.”

Apron day is a tradition that Texas High students participate in and look forward to every year.

“Apron day has been around for a really long time and it’s something really unique,” senior Sophie Lower said. “A ton of schools have ‘Hawaiian Day’ or ‘Neon Day’, but no other school does Apron Day. That’s something Texas High really needs to take pride in because that’s something just for us.”