Go and tell it to the masses

Fields of Faith 2017 brings Christians together

Students and leaders kneel together to pray at Fields of Faith, which happened on oct. 11 at the Pleasant Grove High School football field.

Photo by Alyssa Higgins

Photo by Alyssa Higgins

Joseph Rodgers and John Morgan

Story by Lois LeFors, news editor

Three. The countdown begins and it seems like time starts moving in slow motion. Two. The speaker urges people to stand up and boldly make a step to God. One. The crowd holds a collective breath. For a split second, the only sounds that can be made out is the soft whistling of the wind and the rapid heartbeats of those trying to muster up the necessary courage. Then suddenly, from across the bleachers, one person shakily stands to their feet, their blood pounding in their ears and their eyes glistening. Hundreds of others begin to follow suit. The moment of silence comes to a screeching halt as the entire stadium erupts in applause.

The annual Fields of Faith event took place Wednesday, Oct. 11, at the Pleasant Grove High School football field. The whole idea behind Fields of Faith is unity. Youth groups from across Texarkana put aside their differences and come together as one to proclaim the name of Jesus and offer encouragement to one another.

“I always thought I was alone,” Junior Ana Goncalves said. “But I think Fields of Faith helps give people hope. Sometimes we doubt God when something isn’t good in our lives, but things like this help us remember that God is always with us, and that He will never leave us.”

The event consisted of worship, multiple student-shared testimonies, an illusionist performance and an opportunity for students to profess their faith. 

“It was the first time I had been,” senior Jacob Thomas said. “It was really cool hearing people our age talking about their testimonies. It really surprised me how natural everyone was on stage. I really liked the event, it was awesome.”

A record number of students showed up for this year’s event. About 190 students gave their lives to Christ for the first time and 150 students made re-dedications.

“The Lord was moving through each and every person,” senior Jonathan McDonald said. “I loved that we could all worship our God together. I enjoyed the atmosphere, and the feeling of knowing that I’m not alone and that there are fellow Christians around me that are here to help us through life.”

Lois LeFors, news editor
Lois LeFors is currently participating in her 3rd year in journalism as a senior at Texas High school. She’s been an avid reader since before she can remember; her current favorite author being the one and only Francine Rivers. She finds the human body and all of its intricacies profoundly interesting and thus is pursuing...
Joseph Rodgers, news editor
Joseph Rodgers is a student at Texas High whose experiences in the infamous junior year should be featured on the survival show “Man vs Wild.” He checks his grades and his news alerts every half hour due to his always-stay-on-top attitude. His enthusiasm about being the co-news editor has forced him to make a blood covenant...
John Morgan, sports editor
John Morgan, also known as John Morgan, acts as one of the prestigious sports editors of the Tiger Times Publications. While he is a veteran on staff, he is always looking to further his journalistic repertoire. Known for his relative quirkiness, John can tend to come across as obnoxious and absurd, but he just might...
Alyssa Higgins, photographer staff writer
Alyssa Higgins is a junior at Texas High and loves to watch Netflix every chance she gets. She is in love with Beyonce and aspires to be her one day (#QueenBee.) “A diva is a female version of a hustler,” Beyonce says, and this is the quote that she lives by. She is also a...