Sharing a love for books

Library Club had their first meeting Friday, Oct. 13.

Photo by Alexis Runnels

Photo by Alexis Runnels

Story by Jenny Gonzales, staff writer

Inspired by the place that always welcomes students, Library Club is a new organization at Texas High thanks to the librarian Rachel Epley. Students who regularly visit the shelves wanted to make a group of students who shared the same passions and ideas.

“Its started with a group of friends just sitting in the library having nothing to do, just reading and it was kind of something that brought us together,” sophomore Andrea Loredo said. “It was a way for us to communicate with each other and a way for us to hopefully meet new people.

Epley began working as a librarian in 2015, and since then, she has been trying to make the library a safe place for everyone to come together through their love for books.

“When I started working here there wasn’t a Library Club and after getting to know a lot of the students, which were frequent visitors who came to the library all the time, I got a few asking about a Library Club or if we could start one,” Epley said. “I got into it and did some research and thought that it could be a good idea.”

Although the main focus will be sharing the enthusiasm students feel for books, the club will also be doing service projects, including: creating crafts to sell in order to buy new books for high schools in Houston, giving books to elementary schools and raising funds to go on a trip to a book convention.

“I love seeing people excited about coming into the library. I love seeing students come in whenever I have a new box of books. Some people like being in the cafeteria at lunch with the crowd and some people just like a nice quiet place,” Epley said. “Now [students] can meet and talk about books and do projects that can help the community”

About the Photographer
Alexis Runnels, photo assignment editor

Alexis is currently having her midlife crisis during her senior year of high school. This is her second year of photography, and she is currently the photo assignments editor. Alexis loves to spend her free time watching Netflix and spending all her money she earns from her job at Plato’s Closet on junk food. She plans on being a pediatric dental hygienist (for now) and completing her studies in Little Rock, Arkansas. Despite her friendly appearance, she is definitely the most awkward human being at Texas High School.