Playing to the best ability

UIL band scored high ratings at showcase

Playing to the best ability

Portions of the Tiger Band performed in the UIL showcase on March 7, receiving exceptional scores. First band tackled all ones, while second band took home a rating of twos. Submitted photo

Story by Misty Lopez, feature editor

After months of hard work and dedication, the Tiger Varsity Wind Ensemble and the symphonic band attended their annual UIL showcase on March 7.

“We’ve been working on this music since the first day we came back from Christmas,” Band director, Arnie Lawson said. “So around Jan. 9 is when we started.”

Though faced with a variety of challenges to perform to the best of their abilities, the bands managed to receive outstanding results.

“All of the first band tunes are very hard pieces. We had a lot of freshmen and sophomores so we had to bring the younger people up to a high lever very quickly,” Lawson said. “They did a great job.”

After the evaluation, first band received all ones and second band received twos for their performances.

“There are three judges in the concert portion where we played our three prepared tunes, and all three of those judges gave us a first division rating,” Lawson said. “It’s the best you can possibly do.”

About the Writer
Misty Lopez, in-depth editor

Misty Lopez is part of the Spotlight team along with her co-editors, Craig aka Rat Crawford and Anna Grace Jones. She is also a part of the social media...