Tigers earn their stripes

Junior Brittany Kile helps a student make bubbles. The Tiger Strong Field Day was held on May 1.

Story by Katie Biggar, staff writer

With six TISD schools, over 100 special need students and 300 plus volunteers all participating, the first annual Tiger Strong Field Day was held at the Texas Middle School soccer field. Student Council advisor Susan Waldrep’s A2 Leadership class hosted the event and put it together from top to bottom.

“The Tiger Strong Field Day was fabulous because students from various clubs and organizations united for a common goal: to bring happiness to others,” Waldrep said. “Our student helpers learned joy and determination from our participants.”

The field day started at 9 a.m. and ended around 1 p.m. with a constant flow of games and various activities for the students to enjoy. Brianna Black and Mallari McClaran worked for two full school days to sort and assign each volunteer to every single student in order to meet their needs. They got the activities together as well as contacting the schools and arranging the entirety of the event.

“It was amazing just seeing everything we had hoped for finally come to life,” Black said. “We had an idea as a collective class and turned it into something great, I like to describe it as fun chaos.”

There were several clubs that donated their time and service to make the day exceptional. Leadership wanted a more variation of students from other organizations rather than just student council to help them with such a special day.

“I am so grateful for all of the people who volunteered from all of the different clubs,” McClaran said. “All of the kids loved their buddies and we got such great feedback from their teachers.”

About the Writer
Katie Biggar, staff writer
Katie Biggar is a third-year member of THS Publications and is currently #thriving as a staff writer. Her ultimate purpose of taking the class is to better enrich her writing skills while developing the best version of herself by learning more about others through challenging stories. This Publication over the years has been a constant...