Tigers earn their stripes

Junior Brittany Kile helps a student make bubbles. The Tiger Strong Field Day was held on May 1.

Story by Katie Biggar, staff writer

With six TISD schools, over 100 special need students and 300 plus volunteers all participating, the first annual Tiger Strong Field Day was held at the Texas Middle School soccer field. Student Council advisor Susan Waldrep’s A2 Leadership class hosted the event and put it together from top to bottom.

“The Tiger Strong Field Day was fabulous because students from various clubs and organizations united for a common goal: to bring happiness to others,” Waldrep said. “Our student helpers learned joy and determination from our participants.”

The field day started at 9 a.m. and ended around 1 p.m. with a constant flow of games and various activities for the students to enjoy. Brianna Black and Mallari McClaran worked for two full school days to sort and assign each volunteer to every single student in order to meet their needs. They got the activities together as well as contacting the schools and arranging the entirety of the event.

“It was amazing just seeing everything we had hoped for finally come to life,” Black said. “We had an idea as a collective class and turned it into something great, I like to describe it as fun chaos.”

There were several clubs that donated their time and service to make the day exceptional. Leadership wanted a more variation of students from other organizations rather than just student council to help them with such a special day.

“I am so grateful for all of the people who volunteered from all of the different clubs,” McClaran said. “All of the kids loved their buddies and we got such great feedback from their teachers.”

About the Writer
Katie Biggar, staff writer

Katie Biggar is a third-year member of THS Publications and is currently #thriving as a staff writer. Her ultimate purpose of taking the class is to better enrich her writing skills while developing the best version of herself by learning more about others through challenging stories. This Publication over the years has been a constant preparation for the big dream, Cosmopolitan magazine. Over the years she has found a deep love for writing entertainment and viewpoint articles which allow her to express her passions while being able to learn how to put together page designs and think aesthetically. In her free time, she writes for her blog, Katie’s Favorite Things, as an added responsibility- as if she doesn’t already have enough. She also finds enjoyment in working out and eating her world famous protein oatmeal (it’s only world famous to her but it’s making a come up). She likes beauty and fashion and meeting new people. She likes to travel and one day hopes to become bilingual, but has yet to do anything about it. She’s the STUCO senior class secretary and is very stressed out all of the time but is quite good at pretending she’s not about to hyperventilate. She enjoys all fruits and binge watching Scandal and The Walking Dead until early hours in the morning. She’s a senior and is more than lit to get on with her life because high school is booty. [email protected]