Writing for sport

UIL Ready Writing is preparing for upcoming season

Mrs. McCaleb gives guidelines to students about UIL Ready Writing. Competitions pick up in the spring.

Photo by Rivers Edwards

Photo by Rivers Edwards

Story by Salem Karr, staff writer

Writing can seem strenuous to some, but to others it’s a hobby and passion that calls for early Saturday mornings, lots of planning, writing and thoughtful class discussions. UIL Ready Writing is a competition made especially for these people.

“UIL Ready Writing is a competition where contestants receive two different prompts and have two hours to respond to one of the prompts,” UIL Ready Writing coach Mrs. McCaleb said. “It is expository writing, so the competitors are explaining their ideas rather than debating each topic.”

UIL Ready Writing has a slow start at the beginning of the year, but picks up speed in the spring.

“During the fall we have online competitions for practice, and then during the spring we have about five or six meets,” Mrs. McCaleb said. “We start at district and then regionals and state. We can have up to four people and then alternates.”

Mrs. McCaleb believes that UIL Ready Writing is important for her students.

“My whole goal as a coach is for my team to become better writers,” Mrs.McCaleb said. “If they can become better writers and put themselves in a timed position and still excel, then that’s what is important. I want my competitors to push themselves individually, and do the best that they can.”

Writing isn’t just a hobby for the Ready Writers, it’s also a competition.

“Of course the expectation is that we are going to go to district, then regionals, and finally state,” Mrs.McCaleb said. “But it’s more important for me to see everyone’s growth as writers.”

UIL Ready Writing holds practice during B-Day enrichment. If you are interested in participating in UIL Ready Writing, contact Mrs.McCaleb.

Salem Karr, staff writer

Salem Karr is a sophomore staff writer for Texas High Publications. She spends most of her free time at the PAC, where she is a very active member of the Tiger Theatre Company. She is active in both the acting and technical aspects of theater. Salem is a member of ITS and is starting her first year in UIL Ready Writing. When she is not busy on the stage or stressing about schoolwork, Salem is usually hanging out with her best friend, reading a book, or listening to musical soundtracks. She is excited to be part of the Publications department and is looking forward to an amazing year.

Rivers Edwards, photographer

Rivers Edwards is a senior second year photographer. Rivers can usually be found either at the gas station because his truck has a drinking problem or out on the water fishing (yee yee) Rivers is the number one redneck this year and rightfully takes his spot on the throne.