Gracing the world with art

Art show, auction to benefit scholarship fund

Gracing the world with art

Taimoor Malik and Misty Lopez

Story by Victoria Van, editor in chief

The Grace Comer Memorial Scholarship Fund art show and silent auction will be held Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Sullivan Performing Arts Center foyer. Grace Comer died during the beginning of the school year and was an avid member of Art Club. This art show and silent auction are contributing to a $5,000 scholarship named after Comer for students pursuing the arts in college. Art Club is continuing to work on projects to memorialize Comer such as with a mural at the Hospice of Texarkana.

“Shortly after Grace’s passing, the art department and Art Club wanted to memorialize her,” senior Maryanne Garcia said. “The best way we thought to do that was through an art show and scholarship fund. This idea was unanimously agreed on. Grace touched so many people’s hearts, and I hope this event will do her and her family justice.”

At the event, guests will be greeted with heavy hors d’oeuvres provided by the culinary arts department and a table to sign in. There will be a plethora of artwork on sale, with prices ranging from a few dollars to hundreds. The artwork will be separated into three categories: pieces you can pay for and carry, pieces strictly for viewing only and pieces for the silent auction.

“Art compiled from students and local artists will be up for the silent auction,” painting teacher Shea Phillips said. “There will be a sheet with a minimum bid for each silent auction piece. Prices will vary depending on the value of each piece.”

The art department and Art Club have been preparing for the event months in advance with the help of local artists.

“This is taking a lot of effort from people along with moving parts to come together and make the auction successful,” Phillips said. “We did a lot of reaching out to communities to solicit donations and get the word out. We’re thankful for the artists that have contributed and, of course, the students. They have done a tremendous job on organizing, gathering and creating artwork for this event.”

Each student artist is contributing to the event in their own way, whether it’s helping with preparations or creating art pieces themselves because of their relationship with Comer.

“I knew Grace for 6 years, and that makes this really personal,” senior Hannah Klein said. “I want to do everything possible to make sure that she’s remembered, and this art show is a really great way to do that. We made some small ceramics to be sold there; I’m going to do a few pieces on my own as well to sell in the silent auction.”

Art Club members encourage as many people to attend the art show and silent auction as Grace’s memory is preserved through the combined efforts of the community, her friends and family.

“This will impact my memory of her in a positive way,” Klein said. “The amount of support we’ve gotten has been incredible, and it’s really comforting to know that we’ll all be celebrating the lasting impact she’s had on all of our lives. I hope there will be a lot of people attending.”

Victoria Van, editor in chief

Victoria is one half of the “Dream Team” as online editor in chief of the Tiger Times newspaper with Joseph Rodgers. She’s juggling the responsibilities...

Misty Lopez, in-depth editor

Misty Lopez is part of the Spotlight team along with her co-editors, Craig aka Rat Crawford and Anna Grace Jones. She is also a part of the social media...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Gracing the world with art”

1. Beth Greening on January 29th, 2019 7:38 am

This is a great article completed by several amazing students. Ms. Phillips is such a fabulous teacher helping to drive these students forward. Can’t wait to attend the art show.
    bg

2. Dusty Curtis on January 30th, 2019 9:13 pm

I am grateful that so many people have come together to honor Grace. I can see the beaming smile she would have on her face knowing that she was the reason someone else gets to pursue their dream.

3. Russell Comer on January 31st, 2019 7:38 pm

If you embrace the hope that we have in God and His word, it should be understood that our little girl received God’s Son as her savior and in that we rejoice.
    Life itself no matter how long here, is just too short, but having an eternal consequence.
    As she has watched me share, I shall with you.
    To make this easier and more entertaining, please visit and watch these carefully thought films at FullyFreeFilms.com
    We didn’t lose our daughter, we don’t want to lose her friends. Any questions, please ask me anytime.
    We love our Grace ❤️ and yes, we miss her extremely because we thought we had more time.

• Gracing the world with art

Senior named National Merit Finalist

• Gracing the world with art

Running on a fine line

• Gracing the world with art

Teaching was his calling

• Gracing the world with art

Battle of the arts

• Gracing the world with art

Reviving a dead language

Gracing the world with art