Band, Choir members earn first division at contest

Junior Lillian Lovett glances at her music while playing in the clarinet section at the Tiger Band Christmas concert. Band and Choir members competed in Solo and Ensemble contests on Feb. 7 and Feb. 8.

Story by Monteunah Glasgow and Joseph Rodgers

Texas High School choir students participated in the Region IV University Interscholastic League Vocal Solo & Ensemble Competition on Feb. 8 in Mt. Pleasant, Texas. Band students collected 41 Gold First Division rating medals Region IV UIL Solo & Ensemble Contest held on Feb. 7 in Sulphur Springs, Texas.

22 of the 41 Gold First Division rating medals for band members were for Solo performances and 19 were earned for ensemble performances. 21 of these students will now advance to the Texas State Solo & Ensemble Contest which will be held in Austin in May.

“Solo and Ensemble can be a little nerve-racking at first, but the more you do it, the more comfortable you become in that environment,” senior Guillermo Pass said. “This year, I made the judges laugh beforehand since I was so relaxed. Earning First Division makes me proud since it reflects the amount of time I put into practicing on a strict schedule.”

For choir, Emma Daniel, Amanda Garmon and Jose Velasquez received First Division Superior Rating Soloists in Singing Class I. These students will now advance to the Texas State Solo & Ensemble Contest which will be held in Austin in June.

“I started singing my freshman year,” senior Jose Velasquez said. “[The competition] was a lot of hard work, but I feel [accomplishment] after winning.”

Also for choir, five freshmen, Jeremy Creek, Madison Frost, Ryan Hampton, Sebastian Nichols and Madelyn Snow, also earned Superior Ratings for their performance.

The selected medalists for band are Noah Addie, Mario Aguilar, Christian Allen, Emma Allen, Matthew Allen, Skylar Allen, Jaylund Battle, Conner Black, Martha Bratcher, Lucy Castaneda, Madaline Criddle, Tien Doan, Chris Gilliland, Haley Greer, Cassidy Harris, Kyasia Hawkins, Alex Holt, Caden Jean, Grey Johnson, Kamryn Johnson, Molly Laird, Josh Lauterbach, Lillian Lovett, Cameron Maynard, Jalena McDermott, Hope McDonald, Ana Moreno, Guillermo Pass, Jhovany Perez, Madisyn Points, Shailee Poole, Andrew Reed, Gabrielle Reed, Reed Russell, Julia Ryden, Macy Sloan, Jack Smith, Ameilia Stansbury, Kaylor Ward, Jenna Woodard and Kate Woodard.

About the Writers
Monteunah Glasgow, staff writer

Monteunah Glasgow is a newbie on the Tiger Times staff. She is also a new club owner. She spends her free time sleeping and eating; it’s like she’s...

Joseph Rodgers, editor in chief

Joseph Rodgers is a senior at Texas High School who, for some reason, enjoys not having any free time and basically lives at the school. As the other online...