Battle of the cats

Tigers defeat Greenville Lions 89-51

Texas High's Chris Reid makes a lay up  against Greenville. The Tigers  defeated the Lions 89-51.

Texas High's Chris Reid makes a lay up against Greenville. The Tigers defeated the Lions 89-51.

Photo by Rachael Sizemore

Photo by Rachael Sizemore

Story by Joseph Rodgers, staff writer

The Texas High Tigers faced off against the Greenville Lions at a home game that ended with an outstanding win of 89-51 on Friday, Jan. 13.

The game started out strongly for the Tigers as quick offensive plays opened the game up 24-10 in the first quarter.

After several major saves by #35 Trevalence Brown in the second quarter, the Tigers doubled their lead to 50-24.

“The first half was the best we have had all season,” varsity player Chris Reid said. “Our boys kind of slowed down in the second half, however.”

The Lions stepped up their game in the third quarter by narrowing the Tigers’ lead to 65-41.

But the Tigers finished the Lions off with a safe victory of 89-51 as they claimed their second win of the district season.

“Our boys played well tonight,” coach Keith Jones said. “We are 2-2 and we already faced our toughest opponents, so I think we can continue to do well and beat the rest of them. We played our losses close, and two nights ago, we went into overtime against Mount Pleasant. Because of that, I think we can handle the rest of them.”

About the Writer
Joseph Rodgers, news editor
Joseph Rodgers is a student at Texas High whose experiences in the infamous junior year should be featured on the survival show “Man vs Wild.” He checks his grades and his news alerts every half hour due to his always-stay-on-top attitude. His enthusiasm about being the co-news editor has forced him to make a blood covenant...