Kickstarting the 2017-2018 football season with Spring Game

Junior Riley Russell makes a pass at the Spring Game. This tradition was renewed under the new Athletic Director.

Photo by Alyssa Kift

Photo by Alyssa Kift

Story by John Morgan, Matt Prieskorn, and Connor Brooks

A tradition full of food, carnival games and school spirit, the Spring Game was held on May 16 at Grim Stadium. This event was the first for the upcoming season, and the first game overseen by the new Athletic Director, Gerry Stanford. Texas High’s Varsity team for the 2017-2018 season split up into two teams and played each other; the orange team was defense and the white was offense.

“The first spring game for me really felt like it was a real in-game situation,” sophomore D’andre Wilson said. “The quickness was there, the crowd was definitely there and the game just felt good.”

The players really got a chance to show their skills because there were college recruiters there from multiple schools including the University of Kansas and Southern Methodist University that were looking for possible recruits.

“Being able to start at center gives me opportunities to get looked at by colleges,” Wilson said. “I am just ready to go out there and get a state championship.”

The team took a lot away from the spring scrimmage and hopes to see it be beneficial for the upcoming season.

“It was bit chaotic at first with everyone out there,” sophomore Coltin Clack said. “Luckily, nobody got injured which was the main goal of the game.”

Texas High hopes to reimplement this tradition for many years to come. The positive response this year was promising for all who put on the event as the team looks to find success this season.

“It was great to see the turnout and the support from everyone in the community,” Clack said. “It will all help us to prepare for our first game against Bishop Lynch and later Arkansas High.”

John Morgan, sports editor

John Morgan, also known as John Morgan, acts as one of the prestigious sports editors of the Tiger Times Publications. While he is a veteran on staff,...

Connor Brooks, sports editor

Connor Brooks is a senior and is currently the sports editor after previously being a staff writer for two years. He is grateful that he is done with junior...