Tigers fall to Razorbacks

Back to back losses leave Tigers licking their wounds

Story by Joseph Rodgers, Jackson Cheney, and Nick Mitchell

The Texas High Tigers faced their cross town rival, the Arkansas Razorbacks tonight at Razorback Stadium. The game ended with a 7-0 victory for the Razorbacks as both sides struggled to gain the upperhand.

After an interception, the Razorbacks interrupted the Tigers’ offense. No. 17 defensive back Marquiz Jackson intercepted a pass made by Razorback No. 4  quarterback Drake Browning and ran 36 yards.

The Tigers and Razorbacks traded punts first quarter and then the Tigers lost possession on downs.

The Razorbacks then completed a 30-yard pass and Razorback quarterback Browning ran 19 yards all the way to the 3rd yard line. However, the first quarter then ended 0-0.

At the start of the second quarter, Browning scored a 2-yard touchdown and a successful PAT making the score 7-0 Razorbacks.

The Tigers twice and the Razorbacks once lost their offenses after their fourth downs in the second quarter. After a series of penalties, incomplete passes and a failure to make yardage by Tiger wide receiver Tevailance Hunt, quarterback Coltin Clack attempts to run the ball but was penalized at the 50-yard line holding which made the score at the end of the second quarter 7-0 Razorbacks.

The Tigers received the kickoff at the start of the third quarter as the Tigers lost the possession after kicker Logan Snell missed a 34-yard field goal.

Shortly before the end of the third quarter the Razorbacks attempted a field goal. But were blocked by defensive lineman Dejonte Harper, who then returned the ball to the Tigers’ own keeping the Tiger’s chances of a victory come back alive.

The Tigers began the fourth quarter on their own 32-yard line but were ultimately brought to a halt after a sack on the third down.

The fourth quarter continued on after the Tigers moved down the field in small yardage increments and many penalties were called on them. The Tigers lost their offense at fourth and four in Razorback territory when Clack held onto the ball and was sacked for a turnover on downs.

With 2:51 on the clock the Razorbacks were first and 10 as the Tigers and Razorbacks used two total consecutive timeouts before the Razorbacks got possession of the ball and ran the clock out, claiming their 7-0 victory.

“Many of our players were hurt tonight [by our losses] but the only thing we can do is learn from our mistakes and keep moving forward,” Texas High Athletic Director Gerry Stanford said. “This week we will take a look at the film and keep improving.”

The Tigers will play Liberty Eylau next Friday Sept. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Joseph Rodgers, editor in chief

Joseph Rodgers is a senior at Texas High School who, for some reason, enjoys not having any free time and basically lives at the school. As the other online...

Jackson Cheney, staff writer

Jackson Cheney is a sophomore here at Texas High who is thrilled to no longer be a freshman. He is a first year staffer that loves basketball, shoes and...

Nick Mitchell, staff writer

Nick Mitchell is a sophomore at Texas High School. He is also incumbent class president for Student Council. From tennis and sports to music and sneakers,...

Angela Valle, photographer

Angela Valle is a senior and second-year photographer. You can usually find her in Smith’s on her computer next to Redneck Kift. Also on Oct. 3, she's...

Alyssa Higgins, photographer staff writer

Alyssa Higgins is a junior at Texas High and loves to watch Netflix every chance she gets. She is in love with Beyonce and aspires to be her one day (#QueenBee.)...

Auryeal Parker, photographer

Auryeal Parker is a senior photographer. She knows Russian, sign language and English. Beyonce once said, "the most alluring thing a woman can have is...

Breannan Cranford, photographer

Breannan Cranford is a first year junior staff photographer. She is the team manager for the Tigersharks swim team and gets along with everyone well.  In...

Anna Kate Jordan, photographer

Anna Kate Jordan (also goes by AK) is a senior first year photographer. She is usually in a good mood so if you see her mad something is probably wrong,...

Dawson Kelley, photographer

Dawson Kelley (also referred to as D.Kelley because that's so much easier to say than Dawson I guess), is a second year photographer that still has no...

Rivers Edwards, photographer

Rivers Edwards is a senior second year photographer. Rivers can usually be found either at the gas station because his truck has a drinking problem or...

Alexis Runnels, photo assignment editor

Alexis is currently having her midlife crisis during her senior year of high school. This is her second year of photography, and she is currently the photo...

Holland Rainwater, photographer

Holland Rainwater (also known as flower child or sunshine hippie) is a senior at Texas High School. She loves fashion, sunrises and burritos. She just...

Racheal Sizemore, photographer

Racheal Sizemore is a senior at Texas High and a captain of the Tigershark swim team. This is her second year of being involved in photography. Whenever...