Texas High dominates Mount Pleasant

Homecoming sweetened by 48-0 victory

Story by Connor Brooks and Anna Grace Jones

The Texas High Tigers played the Mount Pleasant Tigers for the Homecoming game tonight. After a close loss to district rival Marshall two weeks ago and Coltin Clack, the starting quarterback injury, Riley Russell looked to prove himself during his second game of the season as starting quarterback. Texas High was able to win from strong rushes from their running backs and dominating defensive play the Mount Pleasant offense. The final score was 48-0.

Texas High Russell made an 11-yard run and a 15-yard run in a series of plays that resulted in a rushing touchdown by Chris Sutton in the first 3 minutes of the game putting Texas High up early with a score of 7-0.

Texas High completed a 15 yard play and then Mount Pleasant received a 15-yard penalty which gave Texas High an accumulative of 30 yards landing them on the 23-yard line. In a few more offensive plays Texas High running back Trakeci Cooper scored a 2-yard touchdown with 6:03 left in the first quarter making the score 14-0 Texas High.

The Texas High defense forced Mount Pleasant to punt within the first minute of the second quarter. Texas High returned the ball to their 30-yard line. After a 10-yard holding penalty on the offense the Texas Tigers made a couple of first downs until it was first and goal from the 1-yard line. Russell handed the ball off to running back Chris Sutton who ran for the touchdown. The extra point kick was good with ten minutes left in the second quarter.

“We definitely got some push and opened up some lanes so our running backs could get some points,” senior offensive linemen Mason Shoalmire said. “In the future we need to improve steps and get short, better pushes.”

Mount Pleasant returned the ball to their 26-yard line. On their first drive they were forced to punt on fourth down. Texas High returned the ball to the 20-yard line and after a series of running plays by Russell and Sutton, Texas High made it to the Mount Pleasant’s 44-yard line. Russell launched the ball to wide receiver Jaqualin Brown for a 44-yard touchdown pass. Following a missed extra point the score was Texas High 27-0 with 6:21 left in the first half. With 18 seconds left in the first half, Riley Russell made a 14-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Kobe Webster which ended the half with a score of 34-0 and Texas High was in the lead.

Mount Pleasant received the ball to open the second half, returning it to the 22-yard line. Defensive linemen Deidrick Reeves sacks Mount Pleasant QB for seven yards on first down putting them back 17 yards. After a successful first down drive and a few incomplete passes, they punted on fourth down with 8:30 left in the quarter.

“We just need to stay consistent and defensively we can not give up big plays,” Stanford said. “Offensively we gave up the three and out tonight and we need to minimize how often we have those three and outs.”

Texas High scored a touchdown returning the punt but a flag negated the score. Texas took the ball from the 50-yard line following the flag.

Caleb Jones received the kickoff for Mount Pleasant but was tackled on the 5-yard line. After a single first down Mount Pleasant punted again to Texas High.

Texas High received and on the next play Russell threw a 49-yard pass to wide receiver Tevailance Hunt for another Texas High touchdown. The score was 41-0 with roughly four minutes left in the third quarter.

We also had a good game plan and we executed it”

— Gerry Stanford

On their next possession, Mount Pleasant could not convert on fourth down so Texas High took the ball on Mount Pleasant’s 29-yard line. Texas High also failed to convert on their next drive and Mount Pleasant recover possession on their own 22-yard line as the third quarter came to a close.

“The biggest thing is that we have had a great practice all week long,” Texas High head coach Gerry Stanford said. “We also had a good game plan and we executed it.”

Following a couple of successful first down drives Russell handed the ball off to running back Kendall Reed who ran it for a 12-yard touchdown. Texas High was up 48-0 with 8:30 left in the game. The remaining six minutes were played out with each team making minimal progress on their drives and punting after several downs.

“I think we just need to stay consistent and defensively we can not give up big plays,” Stanford said. “Offensively we gave up the three and out tonight and we need to minimize how often we have those three and outs.”

“Texas High played a really solid game tonight,”Mount Pleasant head coach Corey Homer said. “I expect them to play at least one or two playoff games because of their great coaches, Gerry Stanford and the rest of the coaching staff, and great football team.”

Connor Brooks, sports editor

Connor Brooks is a senior and is currently the sports editor after previously being a staff writer for two years. He is grateful that he is done with junior...

Anna Grace Jones, in-depth editor

Anna Grace Jones is a second-year member of the Tiger Times Staff and a junior at Texas High School. She holds the position of Spotlight editor of the...

Cameron Alcorn, photographer

Cameron Alcorn is a third-year member of the Texas High swim team and a second-year member of Texas High Publications. In addition, he is a part of Student...

Kaitlyn Gordon, print photo editor

Kaitlyn Gordon is a senior at Texas High School and probably the only senior who is nowhere near ready to graduate. She is the print newspaper photo editor,...

Alexis Runnels, photo assignment editor

Alexis is currently having her midlife crisis during her senior year of high school. This is her second year of photography, and she is currently the photo...

Holland Rainwater, photographer

Holland Rainwater (also known as flower child or sunshine hippie) is a senior at Texas High School. She loves fashion, sunrises and burritos. She just...

Rivers Edwards, photographer

Rivers Edwards is a senior second year photographer. Rivers can usually be found either at the gas station because his truck has a drinking problem or...

Auryeal Parker, photographer

Auryeal Parker is a senior photographer. She knows Russian, sign language and English. Beyonce once said, "the most alluring thing a woman can have is...

Alyssa Higgins, photographer staff writer

Alyssa Higgins is a junior at Texas High and loves to watch Netflix every chance she gets. She is in love with Beyonce and aspires to be her one day (#QueenBee.)...

Anna Kate Jordan, photographer

Anna Kate Jordan (also goes by AK) is a senior first year photographer. She is usually in a good mood so if you see her mad something is probably wrong,...

Angela Valle, photographer

Angela Valle is a senior and second-year photographer. You can usually find her in Smith’s on her computer next to Redneck Kift. Also on Oct. 3, she's...

Dawson Kelley, photographer

Dawson Kelley (also referred to as D.Kelley because that's so much easier to say than Dawson I guess), is a second year photographer that still has no...