Texas High slips past Hallsville for Senior Night victory

Fumble recovery in final minutes secures win for Tigers

Story by Addison Cross, Anna Grace Jones, and Connor Brooks

The Texas High Tigers played the Hallsville Bobcats tonight for senior night. After winning against Greenville with a score of 40-20 last week, the team went into the game against Hallsville with a victory behind them. The game consisted of back and forth touchdowns, however, the Tigers came out of the game with a 39-35 victory which pushed them through to the playoffs.

The first touchdown of the game was thrown by wide receiver Tevailance Hunt only one minute into the first quarter for the Tigers. The PAT was unsuccessful, leaving the Tigers with a 6-0 lead.

Texas High’s scored a second touchdown when quarterback Riley Russell made a successful pass to Hunt at the end of the first quarter. With failed 2-point, the score became 12-0 Tigers.

Hallsville scored their first touchdown of the night when sophomore Tre Fulton ran it to the end zone with 3 minutes left in the second quarter followed by a good PAT.  The score became 12-7.

The score bumped up to 19-7 when Texas High wide receiver Vonderick Stanley ran with 34 seconds left in the second quarter, but had a bad PAT.

The teams swapped scoring back and forth until the fourth quarter when Texas High’s Hunt scored the last touchdown of the game with a 30 yard pass, making the score 39-35.

“I think that anytime you get a win on senior night it’s a good thing,” head coach Gerry Stanford said. “It’s these guy’s last game to play at home, and it was nothing more than a big win right there.”

Addison Cross, news editor

Addison Cross is an up and coming junior, second-year staffer, and news editor — a position she is extremely pumped for. Addison’s hobbies include...

Anna Grace Jones, in-depth editor

Anna Grace Jones is a second-year member of the Tiger Times Staff and a junior at Texas High School. She holds the position of Spotlight editor of the...

Connor Brooks, sports editor

Connor Brooks is a senior and is currently the sports editor after previously being a staff writer for two years. He is grateful that he is done with junior...

Cameron Alcorn, photographer

Cameron Alcorn is a third-year member of the Texas High swim team and a second-year member of Texas High Publications. In addition, he is a part of Student...

Dawson Kelley, photographer

Dawson Kelley (also referred to as D.Kelley because that's so much easier to say than Dawson I guess), is a second year photographer that still has no...

Auryeal Parker, photographer

Auryeal Parker is a senior photographer. She knows Russian, sign language and English. Beyonce once said, "the most alluring thing a woman can have is...

Racheal Sizemore, photographer

Racheal Sizemore is a senior at Texas High and a captain of the Tigershark swim team. This is her second year of being involved in photography. Whenever...

Alexis Runnels, photo assignment editor

Alexis is currently having her midlife crisis during her senior year of high school. This is her second year of photography, and she is currently the photo...

Angela Valle, photographer

Angela Valle is a senior and second-year photographer. You can usually find her in Smith’s on her computer next to Redneck Kift. Also on Oct. 3, she's...

Holland Rainwater, photographer

Holland Rainwater (also known as flower child or sunshine hippie) is a senior at Texas High School. She loves fashion, sunrises and burritos. She just...

Kaitlyn Gordon, print photo editor

Kaitlyn Gordon is a senior at Texas High School and probably the only senior who is nowhere near ready to graduate. She is the print newspaper photo editor,...

Anna Kate Jordan, photographer

Anna Kate Jordan (also goes by AK) is a senior first year photographer. She is usually in a good mood so if you see her mad something is probably wrong,...