Pondering the season

Athletic department adds weight room coach for offseason training

Coach Pond organizes his training regiment at a girl's soccer practice. Pond uses different conditioning techniques to meet the needs of each sport due to the variety of traits and schedules that each team must work around.

Photo by Grace McGuire

Photo by Grace McGuire

Story by Eleanor Schroeder, editor in chief

“There are only two things you can do right now: breathe and feel pain. Don’t show weakness. The legs feed the wolf. Don’t be soft. Kevin Gates doesn’t get tired so neither should you.”

As the sore bodies utilize every ounce of energy to hold the plank, bear crawl or complete each rep, the athletes begin to slowly adapt to this rigorous schedule. 

The athletic department created the role of a weight room coach. Coach John Pond began this challenge.

“An integral part of high school athletics is having a really good strength coach,” Athletic Director Gerry Stanford said. “Coach Pond has done a tremendous job playing this role for all sports, not just in football.”

After leadership changed in the athletic department last year, Stanford chose to re-evaluate and create a new plan to be as successful as possible in all sports.  

“Obviously, in football, we lift a lot of weights, but it’s vital to build athletes, not just players,” Stanford said. “So, we are trying to build athletes and strength training has a large part in building athletes as a whole. That’s Coach Pond’s goal. Within Texas High, we are trying to build the best athletes we can for every sport, and this allows us to be an effective and efficient athletic program.”

It’s not required [for all sports to use Coach Pond] and there are no rules necessarily, but we are highly encouraging all head coaches to develop a strength program as far as getting kids into the weight room.”

— Gerry Stanford

Many sports who have never done any serious weightlifting are now learning the proper ways to build muscle and also how to challenge the body. 

“It’s not required [for all sports to use Coach Pond] and there are no rules necessarily, but we are highly encouraging all head coaches to develop a strength program as far as getting kids into the weight room,” Stanford said. “Coach Pond will create an individualized plan for each sport and work with all other coaches.” 

Even though this is only the third semester of this process, players are already more fit, doubtlessly making them better in their respective sports.

“We want to be very consistent,” Stanford said. “I think this is something we definitely want to happen every year. We started this summer with our workouts being all sports working together, not separated out. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with separating them, but we did want all sports to have the opportunity to get a good workout everyday.”

In addition to this, a new request is for all sports to complete a community service project. 

“I think it is something that is important to our community,” Stanford said. “Getting out there and supporting and helping our community. It is encouraged that each sport finds a service project that they can do that is beneficial to somebody other than their sport.”

Eleanor Schroeder, editor in chief

Eleanor Schroeder is third year member of the world renowned Tiger Times and a first year Editor-in-Chief. She has a love-hate relationship with Colton and Jay, her co-Print EICs, and expects to act as a mom and peacekeeper between the two most of the time. Eleanor is finally a senior at the glorious Texas High. Despite the grueling junior year, Eleanor survived and is honored to be known as a “Senior Queen” after three years of being an inferior underclassman. During her final year, she hopes to overcome her tendency to procrastinate despite her focus on her grades. She spends her time line dancing in Student Council and line running in soccer. Unbeknownst to many students, Eleanor does not love being asked numerous questions about being a twin, as she has a identical sister on the dark side, aka yearbook. If you mention anything slightly sentimental she will most likely cry, not because she’s sad about leaving THS, but because that means she has to decide what to do with her life. She hopes to be a pediatrician one day, but for now she will fulfill the duties of a high school senior. If you have any life advice, she is more than willing to hear it. [email protected]

Grace McGuire, yearbook photo editor

Grace McGuire is a senior and the yearbook photo editor for the 2018-2019 school year. It is her second year on the photography staff. During her free time you can catch her laid up on the couch watching Netflix or out adventuring Texarkana. She also plays soccer for the varsity team her at Texas High. She drives a bright blue lifted jeep that is hard to miss. She is not even a newspooper, but they like her some much that she was asked to write this bio.