NFL conference championship

NFL conference championship

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery scores a second quarter touchdown past Minnesota Vikings strong safety Andrew Sendejo during the NFC Championship game on Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pa. (Yong Kim/Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)

Story by TJ Wall, staff writer

The NFL Conference Championship was exciting on one hand and pretty awful on the other. Here’s a recap of what happened:

Vikings vs. Eagles:

The Philadelphia Eagles defeated the Minnesota Vikings with a score of 38-7.

Coming into this game, the odds were in favor of the Vikings to win this game. However, the final result was the complete opposite of what was expected.

Led by quarterback Nick Foles, the Eagles completely obliterated the Vikings. Foles had a monster performance in which threw for 352 yards and three touchdowns all while completing about 79 percent of his passes.

The Eagles took over this game completely. They were more efficient in pretty much every aspect. They lead in time of possession, total yards, yards per play and they had no turnovers compared to the Vikings’ three.

The Vikings, on the other hand, didn’t play well at all. They went from being on an emotional high after winning on the last play versus the Saints in the divisional round to an all-time low from being blown out by Philly. Their defense, which is arguably the best in the NFL, didn’t play like the elite defense they’re supposed to be.

Honestly, I don’t even know why we’re here talking about this game; it wasn’t really even a game. There’s just not much to say about it except the Vikings folded under pressure and the Eagles destroyed them. That’s about it.

Patriots vs. Jaguars:

The New England Patriots defeated the Jacksonville Jaguars 24-20 in the only entertaining game of the week

The Jaguars won the first half with a score of 14-10. If it wasn’t for the touchdown that New England got in the last few minutes of the half, the Jaguars would have completely dominated the first and second quarter.

The beginning of the second half continued the same way the first half ended. Jacksonville seemed to be taking control even further. However, with eight minutes and 44 seconds left in the fourth quarter, Tom Brady and his squad started to regain control of the situation by scoring a touchdown, making the score 20-17.

After that, it all just went downhill. The Jaguars did not score another point and the Patriots took the lead.

Overall, it was a very exciting game that was definitely worth watching even though the team I was going for lost. Even though the Jaguars didn’t make it to the promised land, they can be extremely proud in what they accomplished.

With the New England Patriots facing the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII, I definitely have a few thoughts. However, you’ll have to tune in next week to hear a few interesting points about this matchup and maybe some things to be watching for.  

About the Writer
TJ Wall, sports editor

TJ Wall, also known as “Wheelz,” is an editor of the sports section and is a fun-loving, witty guy who loves sports, music and keeping up with the...