Swingin’ for playoffs

Softball team looks to clinch postseason berth

Swingin’ for playoffs

Sophomore Alexis Bolden prepares to collide with the catcher as senior Ryan Williams yells for her to slide into home plate. Bolden would score a 4-2 victory over Pine Tree.

Photo by Rachel Sizemore

Photo by Rachel Sizemore

Photo by Rachel Sizemore

Story by Lindsey Egger, viewpoint editor

The Lady Tigers softball team has three losses and six wins so in district so far. They have three games left in district before they know where they will be seated in playoffs.

Two of their outfielders and their third baseman graduated last year and their shortstop, sophomore Bailey Groom, was injured during tournament season. The team had to fill those spots with new players for this year.

“We don’t have the same players this year, so we don’t flow as well as last year, but now it’s more of a team effort,” sophomore Kaylin Henderson said. “We make errors, but we make people know that we’re a team. It’s not just about the game. We support everyone.”

Last year they were first in district, but lost in the first round of playoffs against North Forney. This year they cannot place first in district, but have a good chance of making it to the playoffs if they win crucial games against Greenville and Mount Pleasant.

“I expect to go to the playoffs this years and hopefully go pretty deep,” junior Kylee Spriggs said. “I think we have the team to do it.”

Softball plays a home game against Sulphur Springs on April 17 and against Greenville April 20. Varsity plays at 6 p.m. Student tickets are $2 with their I.D’s and adult tickets are $4.

About the Writer
Lindsey Egger, viewpoint editor

Lindsey Egger is a feminist at heart. She enjoys life in general and spends most of her time playing softball in the humid heat of Texas. This is her second...