Lions maul Tigers

Texas High drops district opener

Photo by Bailey Groom
K’Lon Warren scores a touchdown for John Tyler in the second quarter of the first district game of the 2018 football season. The Lions beat the Tigers 51-13 on September 28, 2018 at Tiger Stadium.

Story by Joseph Rodgers, John Morgan, TJ Wall, Paisley Allen, and Molly Kyles

In the seventieth meeting between John Tyler and Texas High, the Lions pummeled the Tigers 51-13 in both teams’ district opener. The Lions ran the ball straight down the throat of the Tiger defense allowing for their overwhelming victory.

The Tigers opened up the first quarter by trading possessions with the Lions, and midway through the quarter, senior quarterback Coltin Clack made several passes resulting in three Tiger first downs in a row. Clack then made a 12-yard pass to junior wide receiver Kobe Webster for the Tigers’ first touchdown placing the Tigers on the board 7-0.

After the Lions received the kick, they fumbled at the 46 yard line which was recovered by senior wide receiver Mason Jones. The Lions kept the Tigers from scoring a touchdown on the next offensive drive, but kicker Diego Chavez made a 21-yard field goal with 3:30 left in the first quarter, making the score 10-0.

On the Lions’ next offensive drive, running back Roderick Hawkins scored from 54 yards out, but the kicker failed to score the extra point, making the score 10-6 with 2:39 left in the quarter.

The Tigers traded possessions with the Lions again as the Lions made a 46-yard return on the Tigers’ kick. On the next play, Lions running back Cameron Grant ran up the middle for a 13-yard touchdown, making the score 13-10 with 1:16 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers failed to get a first down on their next drive after Clack was sacked on third down, forcing the Tigers to punt at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter started with the Lions on offense as quarterback Devlen Woods handed the ball to Grant as he broke free of the Tiger defense and ran up the middle just two yards shy of the end zone. The Lions scored a few plays later as Woods made a 10-yard pass to wide receiver K’Lon Warren, solidifying the Lions’ lead 20-10 with 11 minutes left in the second quarter.

The Lions again received possession of the ball after Clack was sacked on third down. Woods then handed the ball off to Grant for a 16-yard run. Woods followed up by handing the ball off to Hawkins for a 15-yard touchdown to make it 27-10.

The Tigers then made a huge play after Clack passed to senior wide receiver Myles Washington down the sideline for 71 yards all the way to the Lions’ 9-yard line. After Clack was sacked and the Lions’ defense pushed the Tigers to fourth down, Chavez made a 30-yard field goal with 4:36 left in the half to cut the lead to 27-13.

At the start of the second half, the Lions received the kickoff before Woods passed to Warren for a 61-yard touchdown. Only a minute and a half into the third quarter, the Lions widened their lead to 41-13.

The Tigers failed to make a third down conversion on the successive offensive drive. The Lions increased their lead again on a 32-yard field goal which was successfully made by kicker Frankie Sanchez, putting the score at 44-13.

The Tigers again failed to get a first down. The Lions found even more success as Woods passed to wide receiver Ke’Andre Street for a 19-yard touchdown, putting the Lions ahead 51-13 with 3:54 left in the third quarter.

The Tigers’ failures took up the remainder of the third quarter as they punted leading into the fourth quarter.

While the Tigers had the ball during the fourth quarter, Clack was intercepted by Warren on the Lions’ 41-yard line with 8:45 left in the game. The Lions then marched down the field as kicker Miguel Munoz attempted a field goal but was unsuccessful with 4:49 left in the game.

The Lions and the Tigers then made offensive runs cut short by failed third down conversions which ran out the clock to a final score of 51-13.

“We came out ahead early, and I thought it was going to be easy, but then they came out of the first quarter with 35 points,” sophomore wide receiver Rian Cellers said. “The rest of the season is mostly [against] Dallas schools, and they’ve all been to playoffs, so we really need to step up what we’ve been doing the past couple of weeks and do better than what we’ve been doing.”

This marks the first win for the Lions as they start their quest for a district crown. They have been listed as the favorites to win District 7-5A Division 1 by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football.

“Our coach told us this game depended on us, and this was probably the best team we’d play in our district, so we knew if we took [the Tigers] it’d be an easy breeze,” Street said. “We started out a little reckless, but we just stayed focused, cut our bullcrap and just got to it. The rest of our season is going to be like a movie, a story to tell.”

The Tiger defense struggled against the high-powered rushing attack of the Lions as they allowed 357 yards on the ground with each carry averaging nearly ten yards. This comes after they let up 314 yards rushing to Kilgore in their previous game.

“We, as a whole, just need to learn how to come together,” Webster said. “We just need to work harder and learn how to put more effort on and off the field. We just can’t let [this loss] get to us, and we need to come out Monday and work harder than we did this week to try to get that win next week.”

Clack completed 12 of 27 passes for 194 yards with a touchdown and an interception. Sutton had 12 carries for 32 yards. Webster had six catches for 50 yards and a score.

Woods completed five of 12 passes for 142 yards with three touchdowns. Grant had eight carries for 120 yards and two touchdowns while Hawkins had nine carries for 93 yards and two touchdowns. Warren had three catches for 83 yards and two touchdowns.

The Tigers’ next game is at McKinney North next Friday at 7 p.m.

Joseph Rodgers, editor in chief

Joseph Rodgers is a senior at Texas High School who, for some reason, enjoys not having any free time and basically lives at the school. As the other online editor in chief in the “Dream Team” with Victoria Van, he checks Google Analytics every five minutes, comments on every Trello card on the board, and adds smiley faces to the end of every sentence to ensure he maintains his position of being the “good cop” of newspaper. He looks forward to the prospects of newspaper this year, but admits that there will be major challenges to face as well. Outside of Newspaper, you will find him giving a lecture on Russia’s stance on nuclear proliferation in his Model United Nations club, studying for one of his six AP classes, or completing a portion of the plethora of I-have-to-do-this college applications and scholarships. Currently, he is interested in studying engineering or business in college and then going into the aerospace, medical, business or technology industries. When you see him, give him an encouraging phrase, and that may just be what gets him through the day — or the long night.

John Morgan, sports editor

John Morgan, also known as John Morgan, acts as one of the prestigious sports editors of the Tiger Times Publications. While he is a veteran on staff, he is always looking to further his journalistic repertoire. Known for his relative quirkiness, John can tend to come across as obnoxious and absurd, but he just might be one of the most spirited men on campus. With a wide range of interests spanning from sports to music to small-town gossip, he intends to make his time as a high school journalist count as he prepares to anchor what he hopes to be the best sports section in the state. It will be interesting to watch him as he gets ready for the daunting reality of the society he shall soon enter next year.

TJ Wall, sports editor

TJ Wall, also known as “Wheelz,” is an editor of the sports section and is a fun-loving, witty guy who loves sports, music and keeping up with the latest news. He’s a junior who makes good grades and aspires to attend the Baylor University and eventually become a lawyer. He is an active member of Trinity Baptist Church and loves attending his youth group. TJ may seem a little quiet at first, but you will realize that he’s almost never serious. He’s always cracking a joke about his “handicappedness” every chance he gets. People aren’t sure if they should laugh when he makes fun of himself, but rest assured — it won’t hurt his feelings. He is about three and a half feet tall, has six wheels, and he shows his school spirit by rocking orange on his chair. He is usually trying to escape the crazy chaos when the school bell rings, frantically flying down the halls at approximately 6.1 miles per hour. He may seem a little weird or crazy, but go introduce yourself to him, and you two will become friends right off the bat.

Paisley Allen, copy editor

After going back and cringing at the online biography she wrote during her first year on the Tiger Times staff, senior Paisley Allen is determined to serve up a bio that hopefully doesn’t make her want to crawl into a hole and hide two years from now. A third-year newsie and self-described “copy editor queen,” Paisley has grown immensely in the past couple of years, however, she’s got quite a bit left to go (she’s only 5 feet, 4 inches tall). It’s safe to say that Paisley is still recovering from, well, anything, actually, but she’s really trying her almost best — procrastination and lack of motivation really are killers, you know. When she’s not silent-screaming about AP style and grammar mistakes in room 50B, you’ll most likely find her in her favorite room at the school: the makeup room in the theater. Embarking on her final year of high school, she is mildly interested to see what chaos will inevitably ensue. Cue pandemonium!

Molly Kyles, feature editor

Molly Kyles is this school year’s fearless feature editor, diehard Spencer Reid enthusiast and devout zucchini bread consumer. She has the best friend in the world (Connor Powell), and they love to go on adventures together. She is a world traveler and has been to Europe twice and intends to move to Paris with her little sister Elizabeth as soon as she graduates. While Molly is a fearless editor, she does have an immense fear of horseflies. To her, they are the scourge of the earth and only bring death and destruction. All things considered, Molly is just trying her best.

Alyssa Higgins, photographer staff writer

Alyssa Higgins is a junior at Texas High and loves to watch Netflix every chance she gets. She is in love with Beyonce and aspires to be her one day (#QueenBee.) “A diva is a female version of a hustler,” Beyonce says, and this is the quote that she lives by. She is also a sassy photographer and in track as a thrower. Now that she is in newspaper, she’s recently realized that she no longer has free time. [email protected]

Rivers Edwards, photographer

Rivers Edwards is a senior second year photographer. Rivers can usually be found either at the gas station because his truck has a drinking problem or out on the water fishing (yee yee) Rivers is the number one redneck this year and rightfully takes his spot on the throne.

Cameron Murry, staff writer, photographer

Cameron Murry is a staff photographer and staff writer for the Tiger Times. Her hobbies include writing, baking, listening to country music, and watching the sunset over Broken Bow Lake. Her Southern belle attitude and accent make her a source of amusement amongst the newspaper staff. She can often be found hiding out in room 50A, avoiding the impending reality of graduation and laughing at every joke she hears. She has a habit of stressing out too much over her schoolwork, explaining why she can typically be found sporting an oversized T-shirt and pink Crocs. Cameron has a passion for trying new things and living life to its fullest potential. Her philosophy on life is this: There will be one moment in each day that makes you look forward to tomorrow. Her heart is bigger than it seems, which is why she plans on devoting her future to helping others through nursing. When she isn’t in Texarkana, Murry can be found in the great state of Oklahoma, lifting canoes and living her best life.

Grace McGuire, yearbook photo editor

Grace McGuire is a senior and the yearbook photo editor for the 2018-2019 school year. It is her second year on the photography staff. During her free time you can catch her laid up on the couch watching Netflix or out adventuring Texarkana. She also plays soccer for the varsity team her at Texas High. She drives a bright blue lifted jeep that is hard to miss. She is not even a newspooper, but they like her some much that she was asked to write this bio.

Margaret Debenport, culture editor

Texas High School junior Margaret Debenport lives a chaotic life as a culture editor, photographer and graphics editor for social media. Margaret’s goal is to leave every place better than she found it, which is why she carries a reusable metal water bottle (single-use plastic items are filling the ocean) and picks up every piece of trash she sees on the ground (no, she is not sorry if you are stuck behind her in the hallways). She spends her very little free time reading books, playing with her two cats (Ramen and Karate), painting, doodling or convincing her parents to adopt a dog (Mom, please do it). You can always find her wanting to tell a funny story but unable to make anyone laugh at it because of her feeling a need to add useless background information (hence the excessive use of parentheses).