Bulldogs Outlast Tigers

Texas High falls in thriller to McKinney North

Texas High's Chris Sutton  drives his shoulder into a McKinney defender in the third quarter of the game held in McKinney on October 5, 2018. The Tigers lost to the Bulldogs 47-44.

Texas High's Chris Sutton drives his shoulder into a McKinney defender in the third quarter of the game held in McKinney on October 5, 2018. The Tigers lost to the Bulldogs 47-44.

Photo by Margaret Debenport

Photo by Margaret Debenport

Story by John Morgan, Logan Diggs, and Craig Crawford

In a back-and-forth clash at the most expensive high school stadium in the country, the Tigers fell to the McKinney North Bulldogs 47-44 on Friday night at McKinney ISD Stadium.

Both teams traded punts early on before the Tigers got on the board first as kicker Diego Mata connected on a 34-yard field goal. The Bulldogs responded, however, by marching down the field and scoring a touchdown on a 33-yard run by running back Hunter Chae. A blocked extra point saw the Bulldogs lead 6-3.

The next drive for the Tigers would produce one of the most controversial plays of the season. Senior quarterback Coltin Clack scored what appeared to be a rushing touchdown before the referees converged and declared that he had been stripped of the ball before crossing the goal line. This gave the ball back to the Bulldogs and completely swung the momentum in their favor.

The Bulldogs scored on the ensuing drive on a 4-yard rushing touchdown by Chae. After stopping the two-point conversion, the Tigers came back with a score of their own as Clack connected with senior wide receiver Myles Washington for a 55-yard touchdown to cut the lead to 12-10.

On their next drive, the Bulldogs again moved down the field as running back Manny Fincher punched it from a yard out. The Tigers’ aerial attack continued to excel, though, as they answered back with a 64-yard passing touchdown from Clack to senior wide receiver Mason Jones to make it 19-17 as the teams went into the locker rooms.

The Tigers couldn’t manage any success on their first possession of the second half. This led to the Bulldogs striking on a 3-yard passing touchdown from quarterback Dillon Markiewicz to wide receiver Sean Monsour. The next possession saw the Tigers answer the bell, however, as Clack ran it in from six yards out to make it 26-24.

On the next drive, the Tiger defense could not stop the Bulldogs’ rushing attack as Chae scored his third touchdown of the night on a 55-yard scamper.
The Clack-Washington collab continued to blossom as they connected on a 24-yard touchdown on the ensuing possession to make the score 33-30 after a blocked extra point.

The Tiger defense almost caught a break after recovering a fumble inside Bulldog territory, but their accomplishment would prove to be short-lived as the offense coughed up the ball on the very next play. The Bulldogs counted their lucky stars and cashed them in as Markiewicz and Monsour allied again on a 36-yard touchdown.

The Tiger offense kept paying interest on their deficit as Clack found senior wide receiver Kendall Reid for a 19-yard score. The Bulldogs then went three-and-out on their next drive, but a fantastic punt pinned the Tigers deep and allowed them to get the ball back with good field possession.

The Bulldogs put the game away on their next drive as Fincher scored on a nine-yard carry. Senior wide receiver Chris Sutton caught a six-yard pass for the Tigers from Clack to cut into the lead, but the Bulldogs then ran out the clock to seal the deal and leave with a 47-44 win.

Clack and the Tiger offense turned things up a notch to play toe-to-toe with the Bulldogs, but a few missed opportunities and tough calls cost them severely.

“I think the effort overall was really good,” head coach Gerry Stanford said. “The quarterback and receivers were aligned as a unit and played pretty well together. We’ve just got to keep getting better.”

The Tiger defense once again proved to be a point of concern after allowing 364 yards rushing. A few starters were out with injuries, but this marks the third straight week that the unit has been torched by an opposing offense.

“Everyone has to do their part,” Reid said. “It all starts in practice. We just have to finish every play and the game.”

Clack completed 23 of 37 passes for 361 yards and five touchdowns with another score on the ground. Sutton has 13 carries for 30 yards and a receiving touchdown, and Washington had six catches for 143 yards and two scores.

Markiewicz completed seven of 12 passes for 97 yards and two touchdowns. Chae had 27 carries for 191 yards and two touchdowns while Fincher had 35 carries for 151 yards and two scores. Monsour had two catches for 39 yards and two touchdowns.

“I feel like as a team, our effort was there,” Jones said. “It just came down to making more plays than the other team. The best we can do is be ready.”

The Tigers are back at home next week as they face the Poteet Pirates at Tiger Stadium on Friday night at 7 p.m.

John Morgan, sports editor

John Morgan, also known as John Morgan, acts as one of the prestigious sports editors of the Tiger Times Publications. While he is a veteran on staff, he is always looking to further his journalistic repertoire. Known for his relative quirkiness, John can tend to come across as obnoxious and absurd, but he just might be one of the most spirited men on campus. With a wide range of interests spanning from sports to music to small-town gossip, he intends to make his time as a high school journalist count as he prepares to anchor what he hopes to be the best sports section in the state. It will be interesting to watch him as he gets ready for the daunting reality of the society he shall soon enter next year.

Logan Diggs, staff writer, photographer

Logan Diggs is a first-year member of the Texas High Publications staff and a second-year Tigershark. He is getting involved in student council and plans to join numerous clubs this year. Logan usually spends most of his free time hanging out with friends and playing sports. His day usually starts at 5 a.m. and ends around 10 p.m., so sleep is very important to him. Logan’s mom is the general manager of Randy Sams’ homeless shelter, so on the weekends, he feeds the homeless whenever he can. And since both swim and school are demanding so much from him, he probably won’t have much time to till next summer.

Craig Crawford, managing editor

Craig Crawford is an amateur professional, jill of all trades, divvying his time between his pursuit of jazz legacy, the interior world of the human psyche, and the print managing editor as well as a member of the Spotlight team for Tiger Times at Texas High School. Occasionally daydreaming, Craig will waste his afternoons ignoring homework, thinking abstractly about clouds, listening to jazz and Joni Mitchell.

Margaret Debenport, culture editor

Texas High School junior Margaret Debenport lives a chaotic life as a culture editor, photographer and graphics editor for social media. Margaret’s goal is to leave every place better than she found it, which is why she carries a reusable metal water bottle (single-use plastic items are filling the ocean) and picks up every piece of trash she sees on the ground (no, she is not sorry if you are stuck behind her in the hallways). She spends her very little free time reading books, playing with her two cats (Ramen and Karate), painting, doodling or convincing her parents to adopt a dog (Mom, please do it). You can always find her wanting to tell a funny story but unable to make anyone laugh at it because of her feeling a need to add useless background information (hence the excessive use of parentheses).