Lady Tigers clip wings of Lady Hawks

Girls’ basketball team defeats rival Pleasant Grove

Lady Tigers clip wings of Lady Hawks

Senior Amiyah Rone looks past a Pleasant Grove defender. The Tigers beat the Pleasant Grove Hawks on Nov. 19.

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Story by Peyton Sims and Sophie Spakes

The Lady Tigers defeated the Pleasant Grove Lady Hawks Nov. 19 in a close game at home in a matchup that has become an annual crosstown rivalry by a score of 54-46.

In the first quarter, Kerrighan Dann racked up seven points to put the Lady Tigers in front by a score of 13-7. They would increase that lead in the second quarter to make the score 23-15 at the break.

The Lady Hawks flew out of halftime to give the Lady Tigers a challenge, but they faltered late as Texas High powered though and ended the third quarter leading 35-29. The Lady Tigers sealed the deal in the final period, racking up 19 points to make the final score 54-46.

“We played team ball and adjusted to their plays,” senior Victoria Willis said. “Since several of our friends [go to Pleasant Grove], I feel like they gave us more [motivation] to beat them.”

Peyton Sims, staff writer

Peyton Sims is a first-year staff writer who refuses to leave her home if she’s not satisfied with her outfit. She loves nature and the animals within...

Sophie Spakes, staff writer

Sophie Spakes is a first-year staff writer. She’s also a full-time sister to two younger siblings and one older sister. Sophie has two fur babies —...

Kaitlyn Gordon, print photo editor

Kaitlyn Gordon is a senior at Texas High School and probably the only senior who is nowhere near ready to graduate. She is the print newspaper photo editor,...