Off the pitch

Senior John Powell gives opinion on boys’ soccer season, new coach

Off the pitch

Senior John Powell goes up to win a ball against a Marshall defender in a district match. Powell looks to be a leader for the team in his final season at the helm.

Photo by Margaret Debenport

Photo by Margaret Debenport

Photo by Margaret Debenport

Story by John Morgan, sports editor

Q. How does the team look to focus after a rough season last year?

A. We got a new coach this season, so our focus has shifted more toward defense this year. That’s what really killed us last year, so that’s what we need focus on.

Q. You have grown a lot as a player over the years. What would you say has driven your love for soccer?

A. I’ve played it all my life, starting when I was 4. [I remember] playing in a league for a U5 team out at Grady T. Wallace Park. I’ve enjoyed it since and have done all I can to play wherever I can.

Q. What will be important to the success of the team this season?

A. We just need to stay focused. Last year, we really weren’t sure what exactly we wanted out of each other, so we just need to keep our minds right.

Q. What should we expect to see from the team when the season starts?

A. I think compared to last year, we’re going to be a lot more defensive this year. We’re going to really stack the back line and the midfield of our team. We’re going to run and defend as hard as we can.

Q. What are your personal goals for this season?

A. This season, I really want us to come together as a team and gain more chemistry compared to last year when we really didn’t have any.

John Morgan, sports editor

John Morgan, also known as John Morgan, acts as one of the prestigious sports editors of the Tiger Times Publications. While he is a veteran on staff,...

Margaret Debenport, culture editor

Texas High School junior Margaret Debenport lives a chaotic life as a culture editor, photographer and graphics editor for social media. Margaret’s goal...