Designing for the community

Graphic design students create logos for community

Junior+Cassidy+Harris+designs+a+logo+for+a+graphic+design+project.+Cindy+Snell%27s+class+has+created+logos+for+local+businesses.+
Junior Cassidy Harris designs a logo for a graphic design project. Cindy Snell's class has created logos for local businesses.

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Story by Grey Johnson, culture editor

The life cycle of a logo starts out simple in Cindy Snell’s class. Starting with a drawing on a piece of paper, it evolves into a design on the computer, eventually resulting in the creation of a finished product.

Graphic design teacher, Cindy Snell, wants to model her class around real world experiences. For her, the best way to do this is to let students design graphics for real businesses that are looking for logos.

“If I’ve known somebody out in the community that needs a logo, I’ll say, ‘Let my students do it,’” Snell said. “That’s what we’re supposed to do, so they can get real world experience.”

Snell uses the experiences she’s had before she became a teacher to show her students what they learn can be applied in the real world.

“With this being a career and technology course, I want them to be able to go off to college and work in the [graphic design] industry and work toward a graphic design degree,” Snell said. “Or, if they don’t go off to college, maybe they can hold down the position that they can do their own flyers, logos or whatever for the business that they’re working for.”

Preparing students to work on real projects is what the class is all about.

“Several [organizations] need logos, and we are a logo design class,” junior Cassidy Harris said. “People call for Mrs. Snell, then she has us design the logos, and someone gets their logo chosen.”

Along with designing requests from people around the community, graphic design also makes pieces for the school. They can be found in the hallway beside administrative offices, in the pockets of students, and some students may wear them on their shirts.

“We’ve designed tickets for prom and the prom shirts that some people are wearing,” Harris said. “We make the flags for colleges…[and] we give them to the office to stick on the wall.”

After the basics in the first year of digital design, the students of their second year begin to work on different graphics for varying organizations. The class helps students become independent graphic designers.

“That is my goal every year. It’s not my design; it’s their design,” Snell said. “I want to see where they’re going with it, and then I help them structure it to be a finished piece.”

Grey Johnson, culture editor

Grey Johnson is a junior who is serving as one of the two culture editors on the newspaper staff. He is quite excited for the position, but nervous at the same time. However, it’s mostly excitement. He plays euphonium in the band and loves that heavy piece of metal. Along with being a band nerd, he is also a history nerd. He enjoys learning history and even looks forward to his history classes. This year he plans to get a spot on the UIL social studies team. Any music is good music to Grey, as long as it is not country, but he has a bias toward the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. One of his favorite pastimes is thinking about random parts of life. This is mostly because it provides him the satisfaction of thinking he has something figured out, but in reality, he either has no idea what he’s saying, has no good way of conveying it, or just forgets it after a day.

Kaitlyn Gordon, print photo editor

Kaitlyn Gordon is a senior at Texas High School and probably the only senior who is nowhere near ready to graduate. She is the print newspaper photo editor, editor in chief of THS Student Media’s social media staff, a staff writer, and a staff photographer. Kaitlyn plans to attend college after graduating high school and major in something involving computer science, graphics and photography. She believes that nothing she’s achieved or will achieve during her time in THS Publications could’ve been accomplished without her advisers, editors and peers and thanks them for all they’ve done for her.