Say no to nail biting

Tips to help stop that bad habit

Biting+your+nails+is+a+nasty+habit+that+people+are+finding+hard+to+stop.+There+are+many+ways+to+resist+nail+biting+that+have+served+well+for+individuals.+
Biting your nails is a nasty habit that people are finding hard to stop. There are many ways to resist nail biting that have served well for individuals.

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Story by Cameron Murry, staff writer

Look around. Look at the hands of your fellow classmates. Look at their nails. Are they prim and proper? Or are they chewed down to the nail bed and red with irritation?

Biting your nails is a habit that many people just can’t seem to kick. Whether it’s out of habit or occurs only when stressed, biting your nails is disgusting. Nail biting takes all of those outside germs from everything you’ve touched and brings them inside your body.

There are many harmful effects that come with nail biting. The habit can cause infections, inflammation, illness and even tooth problems. The best way to avoid these side effects is obvious: don’t bite your nails.

For some people, stopping a habit is easy and effortless. Others, however, may have a hard time with quitting. Thankfully, there are many ways to go about quitting the addictive obsession.

Taking care of your nails is one of the easiest ways to stop the habit. By keeping them clean, filed and trimmed, you have nothing to bite. Getting manicures and painting your nails is another way to resist munching on your fingernails. When you have a nice smooth finish of nail polish swept across your nails, it’s easy to resist chewing them.

Another method of approach is by purchasing polish specifically designed to combat nail biting. The polish is clear (meaning that it won’t affect your masculinity or femininity) and has helped many people quit.

By keeping distractors around, like silly putty or a stress ball, you’ll be less prone to bring your hands to your mouth. Keeping your hands away from your teeth is a great way to prevent nail biting and keep your teeth in their best shape. Nail biting grinds down your teeth and is harmful to them. Don’t bite your nails: your smile will thank you. You might also want to try chewing gum. It is simple, cheap and a good distraction.

Every time you go for a bite on your nails, remember where your hands have been. Every day, our hands are contaminated by filth from touching things that others have touched. When you bite your nails, you’re allowing all of these germs to directly access and infiltrate your immune system and possibly make you sick.

Cameron Murry, staff writer
Cameron Murry, amateur staff writer, spends her days dodging insults aimed at her southern accent. When she isn’t stressing over due dates and her busy schedule, Cameron can be found driving just below the speed limit in her SUV. Murry is openly obsessed with all things “Golden Girls” and recommends that everyone watch the sitcom...
Kaitlyn Gordon, photo editor
Kaitlyn Gordon is an overwhelmed junior at Texas High School who plans to be smiling through the pain of junior year. Kaitlyn probably can’t hear you if you’re talking into her right ear (@ Mr. Smith). She loves photography, computer science, and newspaper; she plans to use these skills to major in computer science in...