Say no to nail biting

Tips to help stop that bad habit

Biting+your+nails+is+a+nasty+habit+that+people+are+finding+hard+to+stop.+There+are+many+ways+to+resist+nail+biting+that+have+served+well+for+individuals.+
Biting your nails is a nasty habit that people are finding hard to stop. There are many ways to resist nail biting that have served well for individuals.

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Photo by Kaitlyn Gordon

Story by Cameron Murry, staff writer

Look around. Look at the hands of your fellow classmates. Look at their nails. Are they prim and proper? Or are they chewed down to the nail bed and red with irritation?

Biting your nails is a habit that many people just can’t seem to kick. Whether it’s out of habit or occurs only when stressed, biting your nails is disgusting. Nail biting takes all of those outside germs from everything you’ve touched and brings them inside your body.

There are many harmful effects that come with nail biting. The habit can cause infections, inflammation, illness and even tooth problems. The best way to avoid these side effects is obvious: don’t bite your nails.

For some people, stopping a habit is easy and effortless. Others, however, may have a hard time with quitting. Thankfully, there are many ways to go about quitting the addictive obsession.

Taking care of your nails is one of the easiest ways to stop the habit. By keeping them clean, filed and trimmed, you have nothing to bite. Getting manicures and painting your nails is another way to resist munching on your fingernails. When you have a nice smooth finish of nail polish swept across your nails, it’s easy to resist chewing them.

Another method of approach is by purchasing polish specifically designed to combat nail biting. The polish is clear (meaning that it won’t affect your masculinity or femininity) and has helped many people quit.

By keeping distractors around, like silly putty or a stress ball, you’ll be less prone to bring your hands to your mouth. Keeping your hands away from your teeth is a great way to prevent nail biting and keep your teeth in their best shape. Nail biting grinds down your teeth and is harmful to them. Don’t bite your nails: your smile will thank you. You might also want to try chewing gum. It is simple, cheap and a good distraction.

Every time you go for a bite on your nails, remember where your hands have been. Every day, our hands are contaminated by filth from touching things that others have touched. When you bite your nails, you’re allowing all of these germs to directly access and infiltrate your immune system and possibly make you sick.

Cameron Murry, staff writer, photographer

Cameron Murry is a staff photographer and staff writer for the Tiger Times. Her hobbies include writing, baking, listening to country music, and watching the sunset over Broken Bow Lake. Her Southern belle attitude and accent make her a source of amusement amongst the newspaper staff. She can often be found hiding out in room 50A, avoiding the impending reality of graduation and laughing at every joke she hears. She has a habit of stressing out too much over her schoolwork, explaining why she can typically be found sporting an oversized T-shirt and pink Crocs. Cameron has a passion for trying new things and living life to its fullest potential. Her philosophy on life is this: There will be one moment in each day that makes you look forward to tomorrow. Her heart is bigger than it seems, which is why she plans on devoting her future to helping others through nursing. When she isn’t in Texarkana, Murry can be found in the great state of Oklahoma, lifting canoes and living her best life.

Kaitlyn Gordon, print photo editor

Kaitlyn Gordon is a senior at Texas High School and probably the only senior who is nowhere near ready to graduate. She is the print newspaper photo editor, editor in chief of THS Student Media’s social media staff, a staff writer, and a staff photographer. Kaitlyn plans to attend college after graduating high school and major in something involving computer science, graphics and photography. She believes that nothing she’s achieved or will achieve during her time in THS Publications could’ve been accomplished without her advisers, editors and peers and thanks them for all they’ve done for her.