Illustration by Alex O’Gorman

Editorial: TISD bond issue

Pros and cons are discussed over the potential middle school bond

November 4, 2014

Pushing, shoving and virtually being elbow-to-elbow is an experience that many Texas Middle School students encounter. Overcapacity has turned into an issue that cannot be ignored, and because of this, Texarkana Independent School District has called a bond election that will address enrollment increases that have averaged about 146 students per year over the last 12 years.

On Tuesday, voters will be asked to sound off on a $29.9 million bond that will provide funds to build a new elementary school and sixth grade center at Texas Middle School. In order to prevent overcrowding from becoming a larger problem than it already is, students and parents who are eligible to vote should help ensure that this bond is approved.

The growth within the next five years is anticipated to remain stable with past increases.

Passage of the bond will address short-term and long-term goals, as well as needs for the next five years. Texas Middle School enrollment has grown to 1,600 students. Parents will no longer have to worry about whether their child is receiving the education needed for the school year. A student sitting in the back of a classroom with a total of 30 students will turn into a problem of the past once the bond is approved.

Not only is this project going to help reduce the exceeding population, it will make the traffic less of a hassle for those who are rushing to get their child to school on time. The crowding of vehicles and the waste of gas will decrease once these constructions start to fall into place.

Along with the passage of the bond comes taxes that must be paid in order to make this project possible, and no one wants to pay more in taxes, especially those on a fixed income. Those who are over the age of 65 and have a disability will not have to pay the tax. The 8.9 cent increase is necessary in a growing community like Texarkana. If we want to continue to have such growth, it’s important that we have quality schools and educational facilities. With the new plans becoming more of an important factor to the city, it is only right to pay the tax for the completion of the upcoming projects.

The choice is up to the voters. Creating more space for TISD is exactly what this district has been striving for over the years, and the approval of this Bond Issue will make a huge impact on the students and faculty.

Tiger Times • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Tiger Times Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *