Tigers rout Hogs 37-7

Tevailance Hunt & Devuntay Walker lead the Tigers in scoring


Lauren Maynard

Receiver Quan Hampton pulls away from the defenders during the Texas vs. Arkansas game. The Tigers defeated the Razorbacks 37-7.

Madeline Parish

Texas and Arkansas High faced off tonight at Tiger Stadium at Grim Park in the highly anticipated 102nd rivalry game. The Tigers emerged victorious with a final score of 37-7.

The game began with a 5-yard kick return to the 26 from Arkansas. After making it to the 41-yard line, they punted the ball and Texas High returned it to the 30. The Tigers quickly rushed to the 38 then threw a 50-yard pass from the Texas 38 to the Razorback 12. Shortly after, running back Devuntay Walker rushed 12 yards for a touchdown and then the PAT attempt was good.

Arkansas returned the Texas kick for 30 yards and then the run ended on the 40. Arkansas worked their way up the field with a variety of passes and rushes, capping the drive off with their first and only touchdown pass of the night from Drake Browning to Tyler Braswell.

Arkansas kicked for a Texas touch back. Walker pounded the ball up the field with numerous rushing plays until eventually Texas was forced to a third down on the Arkansas 36. However, on fourth down with 25.6 seconds, quarterback Cade Pearson threw the ball to wide receiver Quan Hampton for a 14-yard pass that ended on the 22. At the end of the play the clock ran out, ending the first quarter tied 7-7.

At the start of the second quarter, Texas opened with a pass from Pearson to wide receiver Tevailance Hunt. The point after was good, giving the Tigers a 14-7 lead. Texas then kicked off and the ball was returned by Razorback Nick French to the Arkansas 30. After an incomplete pass that was originally called as a fumble and some suspenseful moments among the players, the true rivalry began to show. The game was soon restored and the early second quarter continued. On third down, Arkansas received a 5-yard penalty and then punted the ball to the Texas 12-yard line.

A huge offensive play was then orchestrated by Texas in which Hunt again received the ball from Pearson. However, the Texas drive was cut short and they were forced to punt with 5:14 left in the half.

“We had some great individual performances tonight,” head coach Barry Norton said. “But I was really pleased with overall team effort.”

Texas was able to get the ball off an Arkansas punt with 1:05 left in the second quarter. After pushing down the field, Markese Martin rushed the ball one yard for a touchdown. The score was then 21-7 at halftime.

“Defensively, we’re getting better each week,” Norton said. “The last two weeks we’ve gotten better. We were physical tonight.”

The third quarter was a series of failed offensive drives for both teams.

Early into the fourth quarter, at 11:55 texas rushed the ball for a 3-yard touchdown. The extra point was good, making the score 28-7.

Late in the fourth quarter, Arkansas High’s Elisha Jones intercepted Coltin Clack’s pass to Jordan Ray at the 1-yard line. Jones retreated into the endzone and was tackled, resulting in a safety.

On the kickoff after the safety, Arkansas High fumbled the ball and Texas High recovered it. The Tigers ran out the clock to end the game.

“At the end of the day, Texas High outplayed us,” Arkansas head coach Todd Ledford said. “All credit goes to them. Sometimes you just tip your hat, and know the Tigers are the best team tonight.”