Lady Tigers bested by Sulphur Springs

Softball takes a hit due to lack of defense

Junior Mabry Smith pitches another inning trying to throw off the batter with each throw. In a close game against Sulphur Springs, the Lady Tigers softball team lost a game with the score ending 4-6.

Photo by Alexis Runnels

Photo by Alexis Runnels

Story by Lindsey Egger, viewpoint editor

Last night the Lady Tigers softball team lost 6-4 in a close game against Sulphur Springs.

Texas High was ahead by four points for five innings until Sulphur Springs gained a lead in the sixth inning.

Junior Mabry Smith struck out 11 batters at the plate. She has been the starting pitcher for all four district games.

“The pressure on the mound is intense during games like this one,” Smith said. “You have to take it one batter at a time.”

The Lady Tigers had a good chance of coming back in the last inning when sophomore Alexis Bolden staring off the inning with a line drive, causing the team being back at the top of the line up. However, it wasn’t enough for the close competition.

“We need to work on defense. We don’t know what to do when the ball is hit to us,” junior Kylee Spriggs said. “We aren’t our best right now, but I hope we can pick up the pace soon.”

The team is now 2-2 for district. They have two more games before they start the second half of district games. The girls will have to at least be the fourth place team to make it to playoffs. The girls lost their shortstop sophomore Bailey Groom to an injury in tournament season and just got second baseman Senior Ashley Wyrick back from her knee injury.

“We need to play as a team and focus on the game. We don’t do our jobs on the field to benefit the team for each individual game,” Wyrick said. “We didn’t put together our defense, pitching and hitting. We let little things get to us and give up before the game ends.”

Texas High plays a home game against Mount Pleasant on March 23. JV plays at 4:30 p.m. and varsity plays at 6 p.m. Student tickets are $2 with their I.D’s and adult tickets are $4.

Lindsey Egger, viewpoint editor
Lindsey Egger is a feminist at heart. She enjoys life in general and spends most of her time playing softball in the humid heat of Texas. This is her second year being on the newspaper staff and her first year being the co-viewpoint editor, alongside Craig Crawford. Lindsey inspires to be a biomedical engineer and...
Alexis Runnels, photo assignment editor
Alexis is currently having her midlife crisis during her senior year of high school. This is her second year of photography, and she is currently the photo assignments editor. Alexis loves to spend her free time watching Netflix and spending all her money she earns from her job at Plato’s Closet on junk food. She...