Familiar waters

TISD to lease, renovate TC Pinkerton Center

TISD plans to renovate the Pinkerton center to accommodate the Texas High swim team.  The Texarkana College board of trustees voted against continuing operations of the pool in the spring.

TISD plans to renovate the Pinkerton center to accommodate the Texas High swim team. The Texarkana College board of trustees voted against continuing operations of the pool in the spring.

Photo by Holland Rainwater

Photo by Holland Rainwater

Story by Anna Grace Jones and Connor Powell

TISD authorized the lease of Texarkana College’s Pinkerton Center during a school board meeting on Sept. 18.

Approval of a 30-year lease agreement with Texarkana College for their Aquatic Center will begin Jan. 1, 2019 and end on Dec. 31, 2048. This lease, in the amount of $10 annually along with other good and valuable considerations per year paid in it, will place interior building maintenance and renovation costs with TISD in order for them to continue their successful state award-winning TigerSharks swim program.

“Texarkana College [had] made the decision to close their aquatic center due to facility conditions and renovation costs,“ superintendent Paul Norton said. “Knowing the importance of the pool to the TISD swim program, TC trustees offered TISD the opportunity to lease the facility and absorb renovation costs.”

In a review of the plan of financing the aquatic center renovations, Doug Whitt, senior managing director for SAMCO Capital Markets, shared with the board the funding options for the estimated $2 million project. Costs for the renovation can be funded through Time Warrant financing up to $1 million with the remaining funds covered through a maintenance tax note.

“The renovations are way past due. Everything is pretty old and run-down, so I think it’ll be really cool to see how they change it,” junior Max Young said. “I can’t wait to spend my senior year swimming in a brand new pool.”

With TISD trustees anticipating approval of funding during the Oct. 16, 2018 regular session, renovation would begin in January 2019 and be completed by late summer 2019. The TISD swim program would find an alternative facility for practice sessions during the construction period.

“I have mixed feelings about [swimming at St. Michael’s] this summer. I haven’t swam much in outdoor pools other than at swim camps, so it’ll be a new experience,” junior Haley Wood said. “I’m excited to see how it’ll be. Maybe it’ll make me more excited to get up at 5:30 a.m. I think it’ll be a fun adventure to embark on.”

Other aspects of the agreement allows TISD to terminate the lease with a 12-month written notice and gives naming opportunity on the exterior as the TISD Aquatic Center.

“I think [all the changes] are going to be a motivator for us to take more pride in our swim team. I’m grateful for the Pinkerton Center,” Wood said. “I’m thankful that TC lets us use it, and I think the renovations will help a lot with the atmosphere and helping us reach our best potential.”

Anna Grace Jones, in-depth editor

Anna Grace Jones is a second-year member of the Tiger Times Staff and a junior at Texas High School. She holds the position of Spotlight editor of the Tiger Times alongside fellow newspaper connoisseurs Craig Crawford and Misty Lopez. Miss Jones is the junior class vice president of student council, Rosebuds bake sale chair, a member of leadership, National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, and several other “prestigious” organizations at THS. She enjoys all things sleep-related, although she cannot develop a reliable sleep schedule of her own. Onlookers would claim Jones is addicted to sweet tea and Dr Pepper. Despite a rough patch in their relationship, she is still loyal to the greatest establishment known to Texarkana: McAlister’s Deli. She also has a newfound love of yoga after attending a single class. In two years, Jones will be attending a college that has yet to be determined, which is something that continues to scare her. She is excited for the upcoming year and what it has to offer. Let’s get started.

Connor Powell, staff writer

Second-year staff writer Connor Powell is a fan of cooking pasta, swimming in random Arkansas creeks, and watching “How to Get Away with Murder.” He holds many titles: actor, chef, and all around talented dude — the only thing he lacks is a driver’s license. His best friend, Molly, is the most important person in the world to him, and the pair enjoy enthralling activities, such as watching all the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies back to back and trying to pay for full meals at Cici’s with just a few coins. The latter of these never ends well. He fears birds and tickles, and the presence of either of these things will send him into a screaming state of panic. All things considered, Connor is just trying his best.

Holland Rainwater, photographer

Holland Rainwater (also known as flower child or sunshine hippie) is a senior at Texas High School. She loves fashion, sunrises and burritos. She just so happens to be a second-year staff photographer, first-year staff writer, online photo editor, member of the social media staff, and proud member of Quill and Scroll. Although these responsibilities are cause for 90 percent of the stress in her life, she wouldn’t imagine spending senior year any other way.