The better tiger

Lady Tigers reign victorious against Mount Pleasant

Junior+Kerrighan+Dunn+is+traveling+across+the+court+with+possession+of+the+ball.+The+Lady+Tigers+won+their+most+recent+game+on+Jan.+11.+

The better tiger

Junior Kerrighan Dunn is traveling across the court with possession of the ball. The Lady Tigers won their most recent game on Jan. 11.

Photo by Oren Smith

Photo by Oren Smith

Photo by Oren Smith

Story by Jhovany Perez and Victoria Van

In the midst of basketball season, the Lady Tigers continue to destroy the competition. They remain undefeated in district play, 3-0 with high hopes for the rest of the season. On Jan. 11, the Lady Tigers defeated the Mount Pleasant Tigers with a score of 63-29.

“There’s definitely a rivalry between the two schools because of how close we are to each other,” senior Victoria Willis said. “Tonight made us 3-0 in district so that pumped us up.”

Although the first quarter foreshadowed the Lady Tigers as being the superior tiger, players attributed the outcome to their personal and team strengths.

“The reason why we won the game today is because we had great ball movement,” senior Unique McBride said. “I was more aggressive. I usually don’t put myself out there, but I wanted [the win] more this time.”

Pre-game rituals display the Lady Tigers unity and reinforce their underlying passions.  

“Before the game, we do team bonding to come together, and we pray,” McBride said. “This is important to me because I’m the only on in my family who does this and for me to go this far and go to state like it’s a big deal to me.”

Players treasure the moments when individuals act as team players in order to ensure the success of the game.

“We have fun on the court,” Willis said. “The best moment of the game was when Mia Wilson shot a three and Kiasia came and took the ball back in.”

Despite their victory, the Lady Tigers are still working hard to get ready for their game with Royce City and other major rivals.

“We will [work on] playing as a team and look for more openings,” McBride said. “I hope we work on not being selfish with the ball.”

Jhovany Perez, editor in chief

Jhovany is a co-editor-in-chief with Lindsey Egger, aka baseball bat. If he isn’t practicing until he dies in the band hall, you will typically find...

Victoria Van, editor in chief

Victoria is one half of the “Dream Team” as online editor in chief of the Tiger Times newspaper with Joseph Rodgers. She’s juggling the responsibilities...