Sprinting for scholarships

Annual Dash 4 Cash 5K Run to be held Saturday

Story by Anna Grace Jones, staff writer

The fourth annual Dash 4 Cash will take place Saturday at 9 a.m. at the track. The event is hosted by Volunteers In Public Schools to raise money for a scholarship fund for the graduating class.

In the past, the event has raised approximately $20,000. This year the event is geared toward sponsorships and donations in contrast to the booths and sponsor promotion of previous years.

“Dash 4 Cash is a wonderful opportunity for our community to help support THS students further their education at the next level,” race chairman Darrah McGuire said.

The run features the Dash 4 Cash 5K Run at 9 a.m. and the Family Fun Run at 10 a.m., but for those unable to attend there is an opportunity to donate to the fund either under the “TISD Student” or the “Too Tired to Trot” categories. There will not be booths set up.

“The event is going to be a lot different this year because of the changes that were made,” student co-chair Maddie Gerrald said. “It’s going to be really fun and a great chance to support the class of 2018, so everyone should come.”

Many student organizations will attend including the drill team, cheerleaders and cross country runners.

“Cross country runs at Dash 4 Cash every year because we like to support the seniors,” junior Nabil Kalam said. “It is a tradition that we all partake in.”

To sign up or to find more information go online to txkisd.net or visit the front office.

Anna Grace Jones, in-depth editor

Anna Grace Jones is a second-year member of the Tiger Times Staff and a junior at Texas High School. She holds the position of Spotlight editor of the...

Racheal Sizemore, photographer

Racheal Sizemore is a senior at Texas High and a captain of the Tigershark swim team. This is her second year of being involved in photography. Whenever...