The dog days of summer

TISD to host summer athletic, academic camps for students

Graphic by Joseph Rodgers

Graphic by Joseph Rodgers

Graphic by Joseph Rodgers

Story by Emily McMaster, copy editor

TISD will host various summer camps and programs for a wide range of students. There are opportunities for high school students to learn, expand their thinking and assist teachers in the programs for younger students.

High school students who want to be involved in the camps, but are in the upper grades can serve as volunteers to help in the classes,” Coordinator of Teacher Mentoring and Academic Services Jennell Ingram said. “If they are interested in being a teacher’s assistant they can contact me.”

Additionally, several sports camps will be held on campus for athletes and athletic training.

Texas Tigers Sports Camps include Texas High School Softball Camp (May 29 – 31), Texas Tigers Baseball Camp (May 31 – June 1), Texas HIgh Tennis (June 4 – 6), Texas Tigers Summer Strength and Conditioning Program (June 4 – August 26), Texas High Tigers  Boys Basketball Camp (June 18 – 19), Texas High Tigers Girls Basketball Camp (June 20 – 21), Texas High School Volleyball Camp (July 23 – 24 or July 25 – 26), Texas High Tigers Summer Youth Football Camp (July 30- Aug. 1) and Performance Course Speed and Endurance Camp (July 30 – Aug. 2).

In academics, the TISD Summer STEMology Camp offers a wide range of subjects and activities for students to expand their STEM experiences. The classes for high school students include the Video Game Design class, Raspberry Pi class and Google Coding. Each class is $50 per student.

“The new camps we are adding this year are STEM Social Studies camp, Mad Scientist Camp, Drone Camp and NASA Adventures camp,” Ingram said. “These camps have been added to expand the offerings for [middle school] students.”

For More Information, contact Coordinator of Academic Services Jennell Ingram at 903.793.7561, ext. 1306.

The Tiger Learning Center Summer Camp is for ages four through 13 and will hosted on May 15 through Aug. 14 at various locations. For rates and availability, call Jennifer Treadway at 903.792.7991, ext. 7.

All TISD summer camps and programs are limited, so sign up soon. Find more information on the TISD website about course descriptions and more.

About the Writer
Emily McMaster, copy editor

Emily McMaster is officially a senior queen and third year member of Tiger Times. She has finally upgraded from staff member to copy editor. Emily is currently indecisive whether to be sad or happy that she will be graduating this year, and will most likely have a breakdown any time anyone ask her about the future. She also is proud to say she is Senior Lieutenant of the Texas HighSteppers. She is most excited to hold this position because she gets to wear a sparkly hat. Emily plans to become an occupational therapist so she can play games with kids all day and still have a Summer vacation. Her main goal this year is to relieve herself of stress from school work and decrease her procrastination levels although she tells herself these things every year just to fail time and time again.  [email protected]