Boys soccer captures second win against Greenville


Photo by Piper Spaulding

Junior Alejandro Hernandez handles the ball against Greenville.

Story by Tyler Snell, print editor-in-chief

The boys varsity soccer team held the Greenville Lions scoreless on Friday, March 4 with a score of 3-0. This win counts as the Tigers second win of the season.

The Tigers set the pace of the game when junior Alex Hernandez scored in the opening minute. After suffering multiple losses this year, this early lead helped elevate the Tigers’ spirits for the rest of the game.

“We started finishing and scoring goals which always helps,” head coach Clint Toon said. “Defense started to really understand their jobs, and we are moving the ball around a lot better.”

Greenville came close to scoring with 20 minutes left in the first half, but goalie John Debenport kept the Lions from getting any momentum. Sophomore Logan Snell increased the Tigers’ lead when he scored by an assist from senior Roger Moreno with 12 minutes left in the first half.

“It felt great to score because you don’t score a lot in soccer,” Snell said. “It gave us confidence for the rest of the game and season.”

The Tigers went in for halftime with a solid lead of 2-0. With 32 minutes left in the second half, Moreno scored and brought the score to 3-0 Tigers, but they faced difficulties with yellow cards throughout the remainder of the game.

“[The mistakes] weren’t very dire, but we just looked over them,” Moreno said. “We just tried to keep our heads straight and win.”

The Tigers put the calls from the referees behind them and continued to work together in order to not give up their lead. The final score was 3-0, and the Tigers travel to Sulphur Springs on March 15 for their final game before senior night.

“Well, it feels really good [to win] since we’ve been losing a lot lately,” junior Mark Jaramillo said. “But finishing up these last games strong, not losing by a lot and winning two has given us a lot of satisfaction that we can actually do something.”