The Friars fry the Tigers

Texas High drops home opener 24-7

Bishop Lynch’s Jarek Broussard rounds the corner against the Tigers on Sept. 1, 2017 at Grimm Stadium in Texarkana, Texas. The Friars capitalized on numerous Texas High turnovers to defeat the Tigers 24-7.

Story by Connor Brooks and Joseph Rodgers

The Texas High Tigers faced off against the Bishop Lynch Friars tonight at Grim Stadium in Texarkana. The game ended with a 24-7 victory for the Friars.

After a series of failed offensive plays and multiple interceptions from both teams, the Tigers quarterback No. 1 Coltin Clack makes a pass to wide receiver No. 4 Vonderick Stanley for a 46-yard touchdown, making the score 7-0 Texas High.

With one minute left in the first quarter, the Friars made a 49-yard touchdown play, leaving the score tied 7-7 at the end of the first quarter.

A Tigers punt from the 35-yard line started the second quarter and resulted with a return to the 11-yard line by the Friar’s Michael Parsons. A sack of the Friars quarterback put them back to the 15-yard line, but the Friars bounced back by completing a 15-yard pass that resulted in a touchdown which made the score 14-7 Bishop Lynch with 9 minutes and 25 seconds left in the half.

Turnovers plagued an otherwise uneventful beginning of the second quarter. The Friars won the turnover battle which gained them 14 unanswered points going into halftime with Bishop Lynch leading 21-7.

“It was our first friday night out there and still have to learn some about ourselves,” Texas High Athletic Director Gerry Stanford said. “We were playing the returning state champions and they obviously have a good ball club.”

After a series of penalties, sacks and turnovers the third quarter didn’t amount to much scoring, but the Friars did get a field goal making the score 24-7 Bishop Lynch.

“I think our defense played extraordinary and I told them that after the game,” Bishop Lynch Head Coach Shawn Halloran said. “We need to do some work on our offense but our playmakers made plays when they needed to but our defense was definitely the highlight of our game tonight.”

The last quarter was full of many close calls for scoring for both teams and a failed field goal attempt by the Friars, but no scoring happened and the game ended with a score of 24-7 Bishop Lynch.

“Next week we are just going to come back and go to work,” Stanford said. “We are going to work hard for next week’s game. That’s all you can do.”

The Tigers will travel to crosstown rival Arkansas High next Friday Sept. 8 at 8 p.m.