Tigers fall to Razorbacks

Back to back losses leave Tigers licking their wounds

Photo by Angela Valle
Texas High’s Chris Sutton struggles to gain yardage against a host of Arkansas High Defenders. The Tigers lost to the Razobacks 7-0.

Story by Joseph Rodgers, Jackson Cheney, and Nick Mitchell

The Texas High Tigers faced their cross town rival, the Arkansas Razorbacks tonight at Razorback Stadium. The game ended with a 7-0 victory for the Razorbacks as both sides struggled to gain the upperhand.

After an interception, the Razorbacks interrupted the Tigers’ offense. No. 17 defensive back Marquiz Jackson intercepted a pass made by Razorback No. 4  quarterback Drake Browning and ran 36 yards.

The Tigers and Razorbacks traded punts first quarter and then the Tigers lost possession on downs.

The Razorbacks then completed a 30-yard pass and Razorback quarterback Browning ran 19 yards all the way to the 3rd yard line. However, the first quarter then ended 0-0.

At the start of the second quarter, Browning scored a 2-yard touchdown and a successful PAT making the score 7-0 Razorbacks.

The Tigers twice and the Razorbacks once lost their offenses after their fourth downs in the second quarter. After a series of penalties, incomplete passes and a failure to make yardage by Tiger wide receiver Tevailance Hunt, quarterback Coltin Clack attempts to run the ball but was penalized at the 50-yard line holding which made the score at the end of the second quarter 7-0 Razorbacks.

The Tigers received the kickoff at the start of the third quarter as the Tigers lost the possession after kicker Logan Snell missed a 34-yard field goal.

Shortly before the end of the third quarter the Razorbacks attempted a field goal. But were blocked by defensive lineman Dejonte Harper, who then returned the ball to the Tigers’ own keeping the Tiger’s chances of a victory come back alive.

The Tigers began the fourth quarter on their own 32-yard line but were ultimately brought to a halt after a sack on the third down.

The fourth quarter continued on after the Tigers moved down the field in small yardage increments and many penalties were called on them. The Tigers lost their offense at fourth and four in Razorback territory when Clack held onto the ball and was sacked for a turnover on downs.

With 2:51 on the clock the Razorbacks were first and 10 as the Tigers and Razorbacks used two total consecutive timeouts before the Razorbacks got possession of the ball and ran the clock out, claiming their 7-0 victory.

“Many of our players were hurt tonight [by our losses] but the only thing we can do is learn from our mistakes and keep moving forward,” Texas High Athletic Director Gerry Stanford said. “This week we will take a look at the film and keep improving.”

The Tigers will play Liberty Eylau next Friday Sept. 15 at 7:30 p.m.