Texas High dominates Mount Pleasant

Homecoming sweetened by 48-0 victory

Kobe Webster advances the ball after the catch. The Tigers won with a score of 48-0.

Story by Connor Brooks and Anna Grace Jones

The Texas High Tigers played the Mount Pleasant Tigers for the Homecoming game tonight. After a close loss to district rival Marshall two weeks ago and Coltin Clack, the starting quarterback injury, Riley Russell looked to prove himself during his second game of the season as starting quarterback. Texas High was able to win from strong rushes from their running backs and dominating defensive play the Mount Pleasant offense. The final score was 48-0.

Texas High Russell made an 11-yard run and a 15-yard run in a series of plays that resulted in a rushing touchdown by Chris Sutton in the first 3 minutes of the game putting Texas High up early with a score of 7-0.

Texas High completed a 15 yard play and then Mount Pleasant received a 15-yard penalty which gave Texas High an accumulative of 30 yards landing them on the 23-yard line. In a few more offensive plays Texas High running back Trakeci Cooper scored a 2-yard touchdown with 6:03 left in the first quarter making the score 14-0 Texas High.

The Texas High defense forced Mount Pleasant to punt within the first minute of the second quarter. Texas High returned the ball to their 30-yard line. After a 10-yard holding penalty on the offense the Texas Tigers made a couple of first downs until it was first and goal from the 1-yard line. Russell handed the ball off to running back Chris Sutton who ran for the touchdown. The extra point kick was good with ten minutes left in the second quarter.

“We definitely got some push and opened up some lanes so our running backs could get some points,” senior offensive linemen Mason Shoalmire said. “In the future we need to improve steps and get short, better pushes.”

Mount Pleasant returned the ball to their 26-yard line. On their first drive they were forced to punt on fourth down. Texas High returned the ball to the 20-yard line and after a series of running plays by Russell and Sutton, Texas High made it to the Mount Pleasant’s 44-yard line. Russell launched the ball to wide receiver Jaqualin Brown for a 44-yard touchdown pass. Following a missed extra point the score was Texas High 27-0 with 6:21 left in the first half. With 18 seconds left in the first half, Riley Russell made a 14-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Kobe Webster which ended the half with a score of 34-0 and Texas High was in the lead.

Mount Pleasant received the ball to open the second half, returning it to the 22-yard line. Defensive linemen Deidrick Reeves sacks Mount Pleasant QB for seven yards on first down putting them back 17 yards. After a successful first down drive and a few incomplete passes, they punted on fourth down with 8:30 left in the quarter.

“We just need to stay consistent and defensively we can not give up big plays,” Stanford said. “Offensively we gave up the three and out tonight and we need to minimize how often we have those three and outs.”

Texas High scored a touchdown returning the punt but a flag negated the score. Texas took the ball from the 50-yard line following the flag.

Caleb Jones received the kickoff for Mount Pleasant but was tackled on the 5-yard line. After a single first down Mount Pleasant punted again to Texas High.

Texas High received and on the next play Russell threw a 49-yard pass to wide receiver Tevailance Hunt for another Texas High touchdown. The score was 41-0 with roughly four minutes left in the third quarter.

We also had a good game plan and we executed it”

— Gerry Stanford

On their next possession, Mount Pleasant could not convert on fourth down so Texas High took the ball on Mount Pleasant’s 29-yard line. Texas High also failed to convert on their next drive and Mount Pleasant recover possession on their own 22-yard line as the third quarter came to a close.

“The biggest thing is that we have had a great practice all week long,” Texas High head coach Gerry Stanford said. “We also had a good game plan and we executed it.”

Following a couple of successful first down drives Russell handed the ball off to running back Kendall Reed who ran it for a 12-yard touchdown. Texas High was up 48-0 with 8:30 left in the game. The remaining six minutes were played out with each team making minimal progress on their drives and punting after several downs.

“I think we just need to stay consistent and defensively we can not give up big plays,” Stanford said. “Offensively we gave up the three and out tonight and we need to minimize how often we have those three and outs.”

“Texas High played a really solid game tonight,”Mount Pleasant head coach Corey Homer said. “I expect them to play at least one or two playoff games because of their great coaches, Gerry Stanford and the rest of the coaching staff, and great football team.”