Tigers send Stingarees back to the coast

Texas High advances in playoffs with 31-0 win


Photo by Teara Duke

Texas High’s defense stops the Texas City passing and running game in the second round playoff game. The Tigers held the Stingarees scoreless while putting 31 points on the scoreboard.

Story by Braden McKinnon, Sports Editor

The Texas High Tigers dominated the Texas City Stingarees 31-0 in the second round of the playoffs Friday in Lufkin. This win was completed by an efficient Tiger offense and shutdown defense.

The game started off slow with both teams being able to move the ball but eventually stalling out. This was until wide receiver TJ Gray flew into the endzone with 1:39 seconds remaining, to give the Tigers a 7-0 lead at the end of the first.

“The goal was to really spread the ball around all night,” Head Coach Gerry Stanford said. “And I think Brayson [McHenry] and the receivers did a great job.” 

The game continued the same way through the second quarter as well. The Tigers defense continued to hold strong and  cornerback Michael Thomas made an interception with 4:07 left in the half. The Stingarees had many costly penalties which helped the Tigers to score another touchdown this time to wide receiver Blake Rogers with only 30 seconds left on the clock. The Tigers went into half up 14-0.

“It meant a lot knowing that I contributed to the team and I did my part in this victory,” Thomas said. “It means everything.”

The Tigers managed the clock while also shutting down the Stingarees innovative run game. The Stingarees tried to get out of the run game but that didn’t seem to work when safety Jaylon Jones intercepted the ball with 8:16 left in the third quarter. This was later rewarded when running back Braylon Stewart broke one loose for a 45-yard touchdown with just under 2 minutes left in the third quarter.

The Tigers offense became worrisome in the fourth quarter after a fumble by Stewart set the Stingarees up at the 16-yard line. But the Tigers showed their strength with a fumble recovery of their own by Thomas. The Tigers put the game out of reach when Blake Rogers scored a 79-yard touchdown with 8 minutes remaining in the game. The Tigers kicked a field goal in the final minutes to give the Tigers a dominant win in round 2, 31-0.

This is the first time the Tigers have advanced past the second round of the playoffs in 15 years.

“Now that we got past the little curse, I feel like we can go all the way,” senior Derrick Brown said.

The Tigers will play Port Neches-Groves in the third round of the playoffs at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, La., at 6 p.m.