Tigers stop the charge

Texas High defeats Fulshear 42-14 in the first round of the playoffs

Runningback Braylon Stewart rushes down the home sideline scoring a touchdown in the third quarter against Houston Fulshear in the 2021 Bi-Distrcit playoff game at Tiger Stadium on Nov. 11. The Tigers defeated the Chargers with a score of 42-14, advancing them to the second round of the playoffs.

Story by Braden McKinnon and Kailyn Williams

The Texas High Tigers kept their undefeated streak alive in the first round of the playoffs, taking care of the Fulshear Charges 42-14. The Tiger varsity record is now 11-0 going into the second round of the playoffs. 

A strong Tiger defense got a big stop off the early, shifting the momentum to Texas High’s sideline. 

“We talked about it all week,” senior defensive lineman Derrick Brown said. “I’m just glad we came out here and executed how we’re supposed to.”

Both sides got off to a slow start offensively in the first quarter. 

Senior running back Braylon Stewart broke this pattern with 5 minutes and 42 seconds left in the first quarter  when he tore into the endzone for the first touchdown of the night. 

He scored another touchdown near the end of the first with 55.9 seconds remaining. The Tigers led the Chargers at the end of the first quarter 14-0.

The Chargers came to life in the beginning of the second quarter, stringing several lucky catches together which consistently moved them downfield. 

Both sides of the ball held their own, defensively speaking, with lots of big hits and clutch stops.

In the closing minutes of the quarter, the Fulshear Chargers scratched a touchdown on the board. Following the 24 yard touchdown reception, the Chargers missed the point after attempt. The botched extra point left the Tigers leading by 8 points, 14-6, at the end of the second quarter. 

The Chargers tied the game midway through the third quarter with a 10 yard touchdown run and 2-point conversion. 

With the score tied, the Tiger defense buckled down, holding the Chargers scoreless for the rest of the game. 

“Through the third [quarter], we really picked it up and made some great adjustments,” Head Coach Gerry Stanford said. “We played hard and the kids did a great job.”

Senior quarterback Brayson McHenry had a 1 yard touchdown run to regain the Texas High lead with 5:07 left in the third quarter. The Tigers led the Charges 21-14.

Stewart tacked on his third touchdown of the night with 1:27 remaining in the third, further extending the Tiger lead to 28-14. Senior linebacker Keyvuntae Featherson came up with a big interception as time in the third quarter dwindled. 

Stewart answered this turnover with yet another touchdown, leaving only 18.4 seconds left in the quarter. 

The Tigers finished the third quarter on top, leading the Chargers 35-14.

The fourth quarter began quiet offensively, with an airtight defense clenching the win. 

Junior running back Trent Kelley put the nail in the coffin with a touchdown, leaving 2:41 on the game clock. 

Braylon Stewart had an outstanding performance, leading the Texas Tigers to victory with 4 touchdowns.

“My mentality for the game was to just come out and dominate,” Stewart said. “[I wanted to] show everybody what I got.”

Texas High continued playing great defense, milked the clock, and came out with a victory over the Fulshear Chargers. The final score of the game was 42-14.

The Tigers will either face Texas City or Sterling in the second round of the playoffs. The game will be played at a neutral field on Nov. 19.