Mavericks wrangle Tigers

Texas High loses first district game of the 2017 season

Photo by Angela Valle
Marshall High School’s Se’Lah Smith breaks through the Texas High defense Friday night in the Mavericks 35-33 victory over the Tigers. The loss made the Tiger’s record 2-3.

Story by TJ Wall, staff writer

The Texas High Tigers faced off with the Marshall Mavericks on Friday, September 19, 7:30 p.m. at Grimm stadium. The game ended as a loss for the Texas High Tigers with a final score of 33-35.

The first quarter started off bad for the Tigers. Coltin Clack fumbled the ball and it was recovered by Marshall’s defensive lineman, Xavier Jones, for a touchdown with 11:14 left in the quarter.

After that, the quarter went by pretty slow with little action, until Texas High scored on a 8-yard pass touchdown to Jaqualin Brown with 1:40 left in the quarter.  The first quarter ended with a score of 7-7.

Despite a slow first quarter, the second quarter got off to a quick start with a Marshall 37-yard passing touchdown making the score 14-7 with Marshall in the lead.

The Tigers’ offense started on their own 11-yard-line a few minutes into the second quarter. After a few small plays, Clack completed a pass to Jaqualin Brown that moved the ball to the Texas 39-yard-line.Clack then passed to Tevailance Hunt for a 36-yard touchdown making the score 14-14

With 6:20 left in the half, Marshall QB, J.J. Green, passed to Se’Lah Smith for a 63-yard touchdown making the score 21-14 with Marshall leading.

A few minutes later, Marshall got the ball back after a Texas turned the ball over on downs.. After getting a big gain on a pass to their own 45-yard-line, Rodarius Smith received another pass for a 55-yard-touchdown making the score 28-14.

The Tigers started their next possession on their own 28-yard-line after a 15-yard penalty on Marshall. A few plays later, Clack rushed up the middle to the Marshall 25-yard-line. On fourth down with 47 seconds left in the half, Clack passed to Tevailance Hunt in the corner of the endzone for a 14-yard touchdown.

The two teams entered the half with a score of 28-21, Marshall still in the lead.

The first score in the third quarter was a 6-yard run by Texas High running back, Chris Sutton, with 3:57 left in the third quarter. However, the PAT was blocked, making the score 28-27.

After a few scoreless possessions by both teams, Marshall receiver, Chandler Kelehan, received a 50 plus yard pass for a touchdown with 6:06 left in the fourth quarter making the score 35-27.

“I don’t think [the victory] could have came at a better time because of the rivalry that we hadn’t won for 10 years,” Marshall Athletic Director Claude Mathis said. “I really hope this is the game that allows us to take off this season.”

With 1:55 left in the fourth quarter, a controversial pass interference call kept the Tigers’ hopes alive. Clack then threw a touchdown pass to Jaqualin Brown making the score 33-35. Unfortunately, Texas failed on the two-point conversion which basically ended the game.

“It was a good game and a great effort by both teams,” Texas High Athletic Director Gerry Stanford said. “We made a couple mistakes that I wish we could get back but good thing we have more games coming up”